Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

in game strategy

GRiggs

hey guys,

i was reading an article and came across an interesting quote from Taylor Jacobs regarding the Raiders secondary: "It was very disappointing," Jacobs said. "The corner would be real close to you at the line of scrimmage, and at the snap of the ball, most of the time, he would turn around and start running.

"One of their corners runs 4.2, and the other one runs 4.4. When they turn around and start running, what do you do?"

what would I do? I would call for shorter 5-7 yard hooks & slants to bait them for a longer pass attempt later.

if a little-used player noticed this trend during the game, I am sure Gibbs took notice as well. Why didnt he call for more plays attacking the middle of the field or some more slants rather than the useless sideline bombs that didnt amount to much. During the season we moved the ball really well by connecting on intermediate routes, especially last week at Tampa. This is just a thought of mine I thought I'd share with you guys.

The thing is, you're WR corps scares teams with it's speed. There's not alot of size and therefor, not alot of fear of you guys going over the middle. Gardner, as inconsistant as he was, would have been an excellent complement to Moss. Gardner had alot of size, and at times could be dominating, but I guess his inconsistancy was his downfall.

Teams back off you guys and expose your O-Line. The run blocking gets exposed often. Teams would rather have you try and play the short passing game to Cooley and running backs, to try and march down the field, rather than give up the deep ball to Moss. The lack of a good WR opposite Moss allows teams to single cover Patten/Jacobs/Thrash, and focus on Moss, while still stacking up to stop Portis.

The thing is, you're WR corps scares teams with it's speed. There's not alot of size and therefor, not alot of fear of you guys going over the middle. Gardner, as inconsistant as he was, would have been an excellent complement to Moss. Gardner had alot of size, and at times could be dominating, but I guess his inconsistancy was his downfall.

Teams back off you guys and expose your O-Line. The run blocking gets exposed often. Teams would rather have you try and play the short passing game to Cooley and running backs, to try and march down the field, rather than give up the deep ball to Moss. The lack of a good WR opposite Moss allows teams to single cover Patten/Jacobs/Thrash, and focus on Moss, while still stacking up to stop Portis.

Actually we were running all over the Raiders...unfortunately Portis coughed it up twice, but he was still running all over them. And the quick slant to Moss has gone for a big gain several times this season, and I think would have this game as well. For some reason, Gibbs was hesitant to call it, and well, the bombs just were not there. And remarkably, I only saw one or two WR screens the entire game...:wtf:

Not saying today. Today was actually a good outing for Portis. I was one who said, why the hell, with the game tied, to you get away from your $50 Million dollar man. I saw the game at a sports bar, so I was more focused on Dallas, and the Giants game. But I did catch glimpses. I'm just saying, in general, taht has been the strategy to stopping you guys.

Moss is dangerous anytime he gets it in his hands. He just doesn't have the size to be intimidating over the middle. But I agree with you, if I was Gibbs, I'd go for the short pass and let Moss use his wheels. And run the damn rock.

If all you ever throw are 3 yard passes, I don't know why the other team would be running fast downfield.

I don't recall seeing many passes if ANY in the last 2 games where Moss ran 45 yards downfield on a go pattern. THROW HIM THE DAMN BALL.

I know cornerbacks can run fast, but it has never stopped T.O. and it doesn't stop Chad Johnson or Marvin Harrison or Reggie Wayne. Of course those teams have REAL offensive game plans and QB's who can hit their receivers in stride.

Archived