Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

computer question: DVD decoders

gbear

Alrighty, so I bought my girlfriend a computer. It's my first time using windows XP as apposed to Windows 2000. IT seems alright except that two things I used on my old computer don't translate at all in Windows XP.

DVD decoder? What's up with that? Evidently, windows 2000 had it built in, but now you have to go find one for your dvd drives? Grrr. Anybody know where to get a software download (cheap is good free is better). I don't need the replay software that gives you all the buttons on a DVD player. I'm more than happy with windows media. As a note, I tried a fee download, and it would only play 5 min of a DVD, but it appeared to allow me to use windows media to play the DVD (I guess windows media just used it for the decoder). However, I could still only play 10 min of the dvd before it locks up. I guess I need the decoder, and I couldn't find it on the DVD drive manufacturers website.

CD copier: Okay, so I always used adaptec cd writer (now the company is Roxio). It's nice. It's easy. It doesn't work with windows XP. Grrr. Atleast Roxio has now come out with a downloadable patch to allow it to work. I'm hoping that will fix this problem.

Has anybody else had problems with commonly used programs and Windows XP?

Archived