Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The play before the offsides on the extra point

My buddy and I watched the Redskins game here in Chicago at a bar, and therefore couldn't hear the television. We were both wondering what happened the play before the offsides penalty that moved the ball to the 1. It looked as though they had called a penalty but never moved the ball. Could someone clue me in?

And for all those who say that the refs were idiots for not ruling that Alstott didn't get in (which he didn't), you have to realize that the standards set for officials to overturn a call are very high. They basically eliminate the use of deductive reasoning, which was essential in this instance in determining that the ball did not break the plain. The ball was never in plain sight (at least from what I could see), so by rule, the referee couldn't overturn the call. Are the rules f'ed up? Yes, but there's nothing the official can do about that.

My buddy and I watched the Redskins game here in Chicago at a bar, and therefore couldn't hear the television. We were both wondering what happened the play before the offsides penalty that moved the ball to the 1. It looked as though they had called a penalty but never moved the ball. Could someone clue me in?

And for all those who say that the refs were idiots for not ruling that Alstott didn't get in (which he didn't), you have to realize that the standards set for officials to overturn a call are very high. They basically eliminate the use of deductive reasoning, which was essential in this instance in determining that the ball did not break the plain. The ball was never in plain sight (at least from what I could see), so by rule, the referee couldn't overturn the call. Are the rules f'ed up? Yes, but there's nothing the official can do about that.

Good point. If the refs would have ruled no TD on the play they still would not have overuled it.

Archived