Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Blitzing defense has become predictable...

aolforbroadband

Anyone noticed we got burned so many times today by blitzing Simms at the WORST and more PREDICTABLE times? I couldn't believe the last blitz where Sheppard caught that touchdown. Walt Harris shouldn't be going 1 on 1 against his own grandmother, let alone a fast receiver like that.

I was so enraged and tempted to kick my TV in with those two last TD drives they had, mainly because the blitzes were so predictable it was a joke.

Regardless if we were screwed by the refs, if our defense can't hold with under 2 minutes left, we don't deserve to win. To me personally I find this a very large area of concern. I understand maybe a QB the caliber of Matt Hasselbeck or something engineering a comeback like that...but Chris-fricking-SIMMS? No way...

I thought the blitzing was just Williams being an ego maniac. Simms couldn't complete a pass to save his life when we dropped back to coverage. But for some reason on 3rd and longs Williams had to send the house and leave man to man coverage, which burned us a number of times.

Someone send Williams and email that are corners are not good enough to cover man to man and that when you give a sorry QB like Simms man to man coverage, your doing him a favor.

I completely agree that our blitzes have become VERY predictable. Why we blitzed at times is completely beyond me. The Bucs only had 3 man routes and would leave everyone else back to block. W/ 7 guys blocking, it's going to be pretty tough to get to the QB. Another thing is the announcers can even read the blitzes before the damn ball is snapped, so think how much more predictable it is for the line. They cross Arrington and Washington blitzing in the middle ALOT, and everyone knows it's coming. The lack of a pass rush from the front 4 is a serious problem.

With a struggling secondary I was completely SHOCKED when GW sent the blitz in on the touchdown tying score. I'm not sure if everyone watched the game closely, but the Skins secondary got TORCHED on MANY plays. Rogers got burned, harris got burned, and prioleau(technically galloway was out but he still got burned) ALL got burned for big plays. Not to mention, there were several other plays like the 1 handed catch by galloway up the middle, which WOULD have tied the game on their previous drive if it wasn't slightly overthrown. There was NO ONE around him and this would've been a sure TD, but he stumbled... Not to mention a few overthrown balls where the skins got burned but got lucky.

So.. seeing as how the skins kept getting torched, why would anyone leave them in single coverage, and so often?? The smart thing would have been playing the safeties a little deeper and covering the deep ball.. MAYBE send one extra pass rusher, but dont rush 7 guys...

Of course it's easy to say this now after seeing everything unfold, but I was VERY surprised to see that GW continued to blitz. It's clear now that ST is a HUGE asset to the secondary. He's a solid cover safety which allows GW to blitz, and him not being their today had a huge effect. Like others said, Smoot was also a GREAT cover corner to allow the skins to blitz. I thought that was a really crappy play call to blitz against the Bucs, seeing as how the secondary was having SERIOUS problems all game.

It's also quite clear now that GW's "system" is certainly not perfect. Players are certainly NOT perfectly interchangeable, and you can see it tonight. Harris lacks the speed to keep up w/ fast receivers and Rogers is just a rookie. Rogers looks to certainly have lots of potential. It looks like he got slightly out of position on the deep ball and it caught him off guard. This was yet again another time the blitz gave up the big play. Leaving rookie corners man-man w/o even one deep safety help is "gutsy" to say the least.

I wish a speedy recovery to ST. He was definetly missed today. It's such a shame to lose a game like this when the offense played so damn well. Yes they made mistakes, but they had a great game overall! From now on I don't think you'll hear anyone talking about how the Skins defense is "overrated." They've shown serious problems in pass coverage and even against the run in some games. This defense gives up WAY too many big plays. What happened to the "bend but don't break" philosophy of the defense..? :(

Anyone noticed we got burned so many times today by blitzing Simms at the WORST and more PREDICTABLE times? I couldn't believe the last blitz where Sheppard caught that touchdown. Walt Harris shouldn't be going 1 on 1 against his own grandmother, let alone a fast receiver like that.

I was so enraged and tempted to kick my TV in with those two last TD drives they had, mainly because the blitzes were so predictable it was a joke.

Regardless if we were screwed by the refs, if our defense can't hold with under 2 minutes left, we don't deserve to win. To me personally I find this a very large area of concern. I understand maybe a QB the caliber of Matt Hasselbeck or something engineering a comeback like that...but Chris-fricking-SIMMS? No way...

I agree! Espeacially about the grandmother part.......Walt Harris should go kill his self

Yup, fake the blitz and drop into coverage. The skins defense seems to (most of the time) do exactly what they show. From what I've seen, most of the time when they show blitz, they blitz. This makes it an easier read for the QB pre-snap because he can get a good guess as to where there will be an opening or one on one coverage. Shifting the LB's alot might help confuse the offense, and showing blitz alot and not actually blitzing might help as well. Anyone watch the Ravens vs. Colts game earlier this season? They did a good job confusing Manning at times and limiting him to I believe a field goal in the first half. While I don't think that much of a circus act is necessary, it certainly might help at times. The blitzes have been no use since EVERYONE knows that GW likes to blitz, and they're ready for the few different blitzes he uses.. A blitz is supposed to catch the defense off guard to get pressure, and since no one's off guard, don't blitz so damn much.

What ever happened to LA lining up at DE? He did it in the preseason right? While he may not have the quickness of some of the explosive DE's in the league, you would THINK he might be a solid pass rusher on obvious passing downs, didn't they say they were going to use him sometimes at DE to rush the passer? It's quite clear the blitzes have little effect, so maybe we should just stick LA at DE on 3rd and long to rush the passer...?

I agree with everything in this thread. Our blitz is nowhere like it was last year. We'd blitz and barely even get close to Simms. He'd still have time to pick out a receiver and deliver him the ball. Our D does have quite a few problems. Good to see containment of the run the last 2 weeks but I'm not sure how excited I should even be about that. Philly hasn't been able to run all year and Cadillac has been in a slump the last few games and hasn't produced. But the fact that Simms was able to pass on us like he did today makes me sick. For those who have said that ST hasn't done much this season, well just look at how our pass coverage played today. I guarantee you if ST was in there, at least a few of their big pass plays wouldn't have happened. ST might not be making as many hits or INTs as last year but it's the respect teams have for him and his playmaking ability that makes a huge difference. It's something called an intangible and we didn't have that today.

Archived