Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Did I Miss Westbrook's Signing Today?

tr1

I admit it...things were pointing in a different direction...

Now, as I asked WB36 in another thread, who's willing to admit they were wrong when I said the TO situation was going to blow up?

I'm listening...

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I admit it...things were pointing in a different direction...

Now, as I asked WB36 in another thread, who's willing to admit they were wrong when I said the TO situation was going to blow up?

I'm listening...

Yeah, you were spot on regarding TO. Kudo's to you on that one. Now, regarding Philly as being cheap and not signing Westbrook? Looks like you're dead wrong on that one.

We all understand your strategy here. If you throw enough crap against the wall, something is going to stick.

And as far as your assertions painting the Eagles as being cheap.

Heres an article from the Philly Inquirer.

Posted on Sun, Oct. 16, 2005

Eagles have salary-cap room to move

By Bob Brookover

Inquirer Staff Writer

A deadline is approaching for Joe Banner.

The Eagles' team president has 22 days to sign players to contract extensions and have the bonus money on those deals be counted toward this season's salary cap.

The Eagles, contrary to popular belief, have typically spent most of the money under their salary cap before the annual fall deadline date, which this year is Nov. 7.

NFL salary-cap figures show that the Eagles have had less than $100,000 in cap room at the end of each season since 2002.

Those same figures show that only three teams last year came closer to maximizing their salary-cap figure than the Eagles, who left $27,000 in cap room on the table. In 2003, the Eagles ranked 12th in maximizing their cap figure and left just over $51,000 unspent. In 2002, they ranked third and left just $873 unspent.

If the Eagles do not spend all their money on contract extensions, they typically push dollars forward to the next season, enabling them to increase their cap figure beyond the league restrictions.

At this point, the Eagles have between $9 million and $10 million to spend on contract extensions for their players. A little more than $5 million was freed when the Eagles opted to remove the franchise tag from defensive tackle Corey Simon, a decision that has come under some scrutiny since that position has been depleted by injuries in recent weeks.

The Eagles have some interesting decisions to make this year, and the players they are negotiating with do, too.

"Every player's case has to be treated individually," said agent Brian Mackler, who represents several Eagles. "Some guys don't like the city they're in or their team is losing or they don't get along with their position coach. Some guys want to go for the gusto and be the highest-paid player at their position. Some guys love the city they're in, they're real good players, and they just want that security to remain where they're at."

A year ago before this deadline, the Eagles struck deals with cornerbacks Lito Sheppard and Sheldon Brown, wide receiver Greg Lewis and defensive tackle Sam Rayburn. The Lewis and Rayburn deals could end up being real bargains for the Eagles.

Lewis, because of the season-ending injury to Todd Pinkston, has already been elevated to the No. 2 receiver role. He signed an eight-year deal worth just under $5.6 million last year. That deal included a $700,000 signing bonus. That's considerably less than the six-year, $11.15 million deal Pinkston signed a year earlier. He received a $2.89 million signing bonus. At that time, however, Pinkston was the Eagles' No. 1 receiver and Terrell Owens was still in San Francisco.

Anyway, here is a look at the Eagles' free agents and some players they may try to extend in the next three weeks:

Brian Westbrook. Westbrook has a one-year deal for $1.43 million and can be an unrestricted free agent after the season. The running back said contract talks with the Eagles were off just before the start of the regular season, but look for the sides to give it one more shot in the coming weeks. The first five games, however, have not made things easier. Westbrook's people probably thought they were making a strong case after the running back's performances against San Francisco and Oakland, but then he had a total of just 84 yards in offense against Kansas City and Dallas. Westbrook's value on the open market could be hurt by the impressive list of running backs who may be free agents after this season. That list includes Seattle's Shaun Alexander, Indianapolis' Edgerrin James and Green Bay's Ahman Green.

Michael Lewis. The starting strong safety has one year left on his deal after this season, so it's a top priority to try to get his contract extended in the next three weeks. Lewis rejected the Eagles' offer a year ago, but he has said that he wants to remain in Philadelphia.

Jon Runyan. The right offensive tackle can be an unrestricted free agent, but don't look for the team to negotiate with him until at least after the season, if at all. It's still possible that Shawn Andrews will move from right guard to right tackle next season.

Keith Adams. A first-year starter at linebacker, Adams is an unrestricted free agent after the season. The Eagles will probably watch him play out this year before deciding whether to re-sign him.

N.D. Kalu. The starting right defensive end is an unrestricted free agent after the season, but the Eagles are still hopeful that former first-round draft pick Jerome McDougle will take over at that position. Don't expect Kalu to receive an extension in the coming weeks.

Lamar Gordon. The second-string running back can be an unrestricted free agent after the season, but he hasn't played enough for the Eagles to determine whether they want him back.

L.J. Smith. Sheppard and Brown signed extensions last year with two years remaining on their deals. Smith, who is in the same situation this year, probably will wait and see how his market value increases in the role of a No. 1 tight end.

Rod Hood. The nickel cornerback can be a restricted free agent after the season, and the team is interested in extending his deal. Hood will have to weigh the Eagles' offer against what he and his agent believe he might be able to make as an unrestricted free agent after the 2006 season.

Quintin Mikell. The No. 3 safety and top special-teams contributor will be a restricted free agent after the season. He will probably get some sort of extension offer and will have to decide whether the deal is worth it to him.

Dirk Johnson. The punter is a restricted free agent after the season and could receive an offer for an extension.

David Akers. There was a chance at one time that the Eagles might have offered an extension to their placekicker, who has two years remaining on his contract after this season. That chance definitely ended when Akers went down with a hamstring injury.

You might want to try a different approach other then crap slinging.

You might want to try a different approach other then crap slinging.

Good to see you back.

Too bad you can't admit that you were wrong about my prediction about the TO situation.

This tells me and a whole host of others around here what kind of poster you are. Keep pretending that the TO thing didn't happen, wasn't predicted and that the Eagles' FO has infinite wisdom. :doh:

Pathetic....not phanatic.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I love you, man...you're consistent WB36. Interesting device to use a pseudonym a post like this. :doh:

But, I really love you. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Good to see you back.

Too bad you can't admit that you were wrong about my prediction about the TO situation.

This tells me and a whole host of others around here what kind of poster you are. Keep pretending that the TO thing didn't happen, wasn't predicted and that the Eagles' FO has infinite wisdom. :doh:

Pathetic....not phanatic.

Are you blind? Did you NOT read the first sentence of my last post? Who the hell is pretending TO isn't a jackass and ruining the team chemistry?

You sir are living in a fantasy world.

Are you blind? Did you NOT read the first sentence of my last post? Who the hell is pretending TO isn't a jackass and ruining the team chemistry?

You sir are living in a fantasy world.

It wasn't the first sentence in your post that bothered me, it was the last one.

But that's okay...I love you, man.

Good luck to your Eagles tonight.

I love you, man...you're consistent WB36. Interesting device to use a pseudonym a post like this. :doh:

But, I really love you. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

If any....ANY mod can show me and WeaponX has the same IP....shoot, in the same state, I'll leave ES forever!

See, this is how a man responds to bullcrap! Come with the proof or shut your mouth, fraud. :cool:

Archived