Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

OT: Gators, nervous about life after Spurrier?

Awesome

Just wondering how some Gator fans felt about their team this year

Florida is still very talented across the board. They will continue to run a Fun-N-Gun, but won't the loss of SS have a pretty large effect on the offensive production.

Ron Zook is a defensive coach, who's gonna be calling the plays?

Well, I feel pretty good overall.

Our biggest downside is that we have perhaps the toughest schedule in the history of Division I-A football: 6 of 12 opponents in the top 25 (3 in the top 5), and several others just outside of the top 25.

Zook is indeed a defensive coach... he won't be calling the offensive plays. Our new OC, Ed Zaunbrecher will. He runs an offense very much like the Fun n' Gun. One where a play is called, but an intelligent QB is expected to audible, etc. at the line to exploit the defense.

For those not familiar with Zaunbrecher, he was the OC at Marshall... who has developed a history of being just behind Spurrier in ability to score. I think he averaged 39 points per game last season at Marshall.

Frightingly enough, I feel that we have a better overall coaching staff this season. While it's tough to replace Spurrier (impossible, really), we have an amazing OC... and amazing DC in John Thomson (Arkansas DC), and a whole series of other assistant coaches with great reputations for recruiting (a "weakness" during the SOS years).

I expect us to score a lot of points and win a lot of games :D

I feel good about the program, both for this season and beyond.

Tough schedule this year is a factor. Miami at home, Tennesssee and FSU away. That's 3 of the top 5 teams in most polls.

Spurriers strength was his system and play calling.

Zook and the staff are definitely stronger at recruiting which bodes well for the future. Spurrier tolerated recruiting as a necessary evil and the suspicion was that he was losing a little of his fire due to the expectations every year. He was ready for a new challenge.

Zook will be measured against what Spurrier accomplished. But a better perspective is to compare what Zook does against what I suspect Spurrier would have done the next 1-4 years. This can be speculated on endlessly, but Zook has more of a fire for it than SOS would have. Zook also connects better with the team as a whole. IF our new offensive coordinator can duplicate what he did at Marshall, we should be OK. But OK to Fla fans means winning the SEC, beating FSU consitantly, and being in contention for the National Championship on a regular basis.

I like Spurrier, but feel maybe it was time to move on. Not that I was tired of him, but his competitive nature demands new challenges. I hope it's a win/win situation for both the Gators and the Redskins.

Just playing Devil's Advocate, but if the success of Florida is attributed to Spurrier (and they hadn't exactly been winning SEC Championships before him) and his system is utterly unique, why doesn't Florida slide back to become a second-tier SEC team in a couple of seasons?

I guess the question is really, "What are the Gators without the Fun 'n Gun?"

Hm...i seem to remember the last Offensive genius to come from Marshall.........i believe his name was....Jim Donnan.

Ron Zook did a GREAT job coaching last year, when his defense went into the tank at New Orleans and surrendered more points in a 4 game stretch than some defenses do in a WHOLE year.

I think the Gators fans are a little more worried this season than they'd like to admit.

Don't worry about the Gator fans worrying.

As stated the schedule is beyond tough; but Zook and his staff have everyone pretty upbeat. The team is re-invogorated much as the Redskins are.

Everyone who wants to throw cold water on Gators bring up the last four games of the Saints year--when the whole damn team quit. Most people who are familiar with Zook and the situation there don't hold him accountable for that travesty. Fact is his players have loved him and mostly want to play like hell for him.

Only a fool would predict the final outcome of the Gator's schedule, but I will go on record that they will compete and compete hard in every game--and Gator fans will love Coach Zook and the Gators come hell or high water.

Also as stated, the general consensus is that it is a win-win situation. Spurrier was ready to move on. He seems very happy and relaxed in his current situation, and Gators overwhelming wish him well.

As a life long Gator fan and long time 'Skins fan I have the best of all worlds. New sense of excitement in both camps.

I'll be rooting against the Gators this season. It'll make SOS look like an even bigger genius. :D

Seriously though, the reason why we can depend on UF to be successful year in and year out is because of their recruiting success. They hadn't had enough success before SOS arrived to nab prime recruits from FSU and Miami.

This season is critical. If Zook can come in and just not screw things up, ala Larry Coker, then we can expect continued success for the Gators. If it becomes apparent that Steve was the main reason for Florida's success, then recruits will go elsewhere and UF will slide back down the ladder.

That's just my opinion and I'm by no means an expert on UF football...so gators, don't shoot me if I'm way off. :)

Coach Spurrier will be missed a great deal. He will always be a Florida icon, both as a player and a coach.

Having said that, the expectation for Coach Zook and his staff are very high. He is establishing himself as a tireless recruiter. I know. 2 players from our High School team either reaffirmed their commitment to Florida, or changed their commitment from a well known rival to play for Coach Zook. I'm hearing from some Florida High School coaches, that Zook is even making gaines in the heavily recruited Miami/South Florida area.

Just like the Redskin supporters, us Gators must wait for the season to unfold, to see how good we really are.

You guys got a little clue into what the HBC will do for your team. Now the Gators are looking for our glimpse into the future...

UF is one of my alma maters and I am a Gator fan for life as long as the administration runs the program with integrity, unlike many others in the SEC and near by. SOS was the best thing that ever happend to the football program there. I am, however, optimistic that Zook will do fine and I feel no need to compare him to SOS. Zook will have to do it his way, for better or for worse. Go Gators.

With that said, it doesn't mean that I can't like NFL teams as well, right? I saw the Bucs win their first game ever against the St Louis Cardinals. But, I can't even stand to watch them now. Tony Dungy did me in. I will never follow them again. Beign in St Louis, it's hard not to like the Rams since Martz was in charge of the offense. Prior to the Super Bowl a few years back, they were just like any other dull, boring NFL team. I know so many people that wanted to get rid of their PSL's. Fortunately for St Louis, Martz took over. Fortunately for me, my girlfriend has PSL's. Now, SOS has come to the nations capital to lead the Redskins. I can look forward to Sunday, having two exciting teams to follow. Monday will be even more fun listening to and reading about the opposing coaches whine and complain about SOS. Here's to hopin' SOS stays in town a long, long time. GO SKINS.

Where did this "most people don't hold him accountable" come from? They weren't good BEFORE that 4 game stretch....if your defense plays like crap, the coach has gotta bear some blame fellas. I dont think the Gators are going to all of a sudden turn into losers, but I think the days of 10 wins in the SEC may be coming to an end. The Gators are going to have to fight with the Bulldogs for second place this year, with an 8-9 win regular season.

Gator fans, this is just an observation and in no means meant as a barb or a prediction. But the way you all talk about SOS moving on and it being time and a new coach freshening things up, it sounds a lot like what people here in DC were saying when Gibbs retired and Pettibone took over.

We've been wandering in the wilderness ever since.

Now, the cycle of pro football, especially in the era of free agency, tends to be more bumpy than college football. A good college football program is like a good political machine. It can run independent of the people in charge.

Sonny,

That is a good point... it's never easy to follow a legend. Luckily for us, we have the best AD in the southeast in Jeremy Foley and so far Zook hasn't done anything but great things. There is a ton of talent in state, Zook seems to be doing a better job in the recruiting area and he's surrounded himself with a great coaching staff. We just have to wait and see if UF will be s regular 8-9 win program, or a national title contender.

Chris,

Didn't N.O. have the best defense in the NFL the year before? Perhaps that's why people haven't really "blamed" Zook for the downfall the following year. He had proven that he could get it done, but when he lost the talent, the team suffered like it would under any coach. Just a thought.

I think the Gators are going to run it.

Look at our tough games:

1. Miami at the Swamp: They're in for a nightmare. No secondary, no offensive line. Skinny little Dorsey will be broke in two on a Todd Johnson safety blitz. :stick:

2. Tennessee: This one will be close. This is a team that throughout the nineties knew in their hearts they could not beat us. It will be interesting game. Favor Grossman over Claussen. Gators get the W.

3. Georgia: 1-12 against the Gators. Georgia was favored at the beginning of the season every year. Media is talking about the Bull puppies "offense weapons." :puke:

4. FSU: It's over, media just doesn’t know it yet. Look for FSU to go 8-4. Chris Rix is their Doug Johnson. All the coaching talent is gone accept Micky Andrews, he's the devil. Jeff Bowden as offensive Coordinator? Let's Roll! :rotflmao:

(Graham will have a little something for Bobby and Docket)

So, we win the East, SEC, and MNC.:cheers:

Once again, more Gator homerism.

1. Miami? This game is going to be a nightmare....for the Gators. They are the defending national champs, and are a preseason #1 despite losses to the NFL. Comeon, its miami, these guys just reload.

2. Tennessee - Maybe, but this one is going to be tough. Tennessee has a better team than they had last season....look out Gators.

3. Georgia - WE were favored at the beginning of every season? Are you smoking DRUGS? We haven't been favored against Florida in at LEAST 10 YEARS. We do seem to hang with UF until late in the game, and this season the Dawgs have the best chance to beat the Gators in years. We've really been closing that talent gap and now you have a new coaching regime.

4. FSU - again, more extreme homerism. Rix was a FRESHMAN last year, and he finished the year with great numbers.

Florida will be lucky to win 2 of the above games.

Archived