Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN - Spurrier doesn't score points throwing ball late

GatorMarc

Spurrier doesn't score points throwing ball late

It took only one NFL exhibition game for Steve Spurrier to get quizzed about running up the score.

The Washington Redskins never quit throwing in the 38-7 victory over the San Francisco 49ers in the American Bowl, including a fourth-and-1 post pattern to the end zone for a 31-yard touchdown in the fourth quarter.

On Monday, San Francisco coach Steve Mariucci was diplomatic when asked about the blowout, but he was clearly not happy with what he called "a different sort of a preseason game."

"I'm sure they'll be excited when we play them again," Spurrier said. "And we'll be excited, too."

These coaches have never been around a coach with this much confidence. I think the hate we are going to feel from what Spurrier is going to do to teams is going to make people actually hate us more then the Cowgirls.

I have absolutely no respect for the 40-whiners now.

We are installing a new system that is pass happy. Our running game is set and our QB's and receivers need reps. Knowing all this, why is it so suprising that we tossed the ball around a lot in a game that meant essentially nothing? Christ, to me it was a glorified practice.

I hope we lay the wood on them twice as hard next time.

Originally posted by SkinsLegacy44

The 49er argument is invalid. We were throwing to a bunch of unproven WR's from a QB who has played only a handful of games in the NFL. Why wouldn't we assess our players.

Week #3....its on.

You took the words right out of my mouth. I totally agree with you.

the Redskins are not a juggernaut team like the Rams and for Mooch to get this strung out about a preseason game he himself said was meaningless is just a joke. :laugh:

evidently, this game DID mean something to him.

it is not our fault that the 49ers second offense didn't have any zip and was handled easily by our own green backups on that side of the ball :)

Mooch tried to tack on that field goal at the end of the game to teach Spurrier a lesson and as it turned out SF failed to convert it, which made all those timeouts with 20 seconds left on the clock look even more preposterous :laugh:

I love that quote 'ifyou don't want us to run up the score, get better players' :cheers:

If Mooch is that unnerved by Danny Wuerffel and our #4 and #5 wide receivers he is in for a heap of trouble this season :)

Archived