Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Introduction&Predictions

TmkG8r

New Poster, I'm a longtime Gator and Skin Fan who is excited about the 2002 season.

At the risk of sounding like a kiss up, I want to start by stating how impressed I've been with the quality of posts and level of knowledge on this board. I've been lurking for 2 months and waited to post until I had a better feel for the board. Great observations and analysis, definitely more objective than most fan boards.

PREDICTIONS: Like our coach, I've never benn afraid to go out on a limb. Here are some bold forecasts for 2002 season

1. Whoever is starting QB will be in the Pro Bowl. Maybe not as a starter, but stats will be too hard to ignore.

2. Stephen Davis will be a 1000/1000 man. Rushing and receiving. Draw play will become his bread and butter.

3. 2 WR will have 1000 yard seasons, giving us 3 players with 1000+ receiving yards.

4. Division title.

5. Complaints about defensive stats. Spurriers offensive strikes fast and often, time of possession is distorted. As a result, the defense is on the field more and teams are often playing catch up. Stats will not be an indicator of just how good this defense is.

6. Watch out for Chris Doering. He will make the roster and will surprise. He was a walk on in college, he's used to being the underdog. And his success is not predicated on Wuerffel being the QB, although that won't hurt.

Welcome aboard.

Originally posted by TmkG8r

1. Whoever is starting QB will be in the Pro Bowl. Maybe not as a starter, but stats will be too hard to ignore.

I can buy this given how surprised people will be about our offensive emergence if it comes about. Also, a lot of top QB's choose not to make the trip or at least not to play in the game, making this more likely.

2. Stephen Davis will be a 1000/1000 man. Rushing and receiving. Draw play will become his bread and butter.

Out of all the things you wrote, I find this the least likely. I have little doubt that a healty #48 will get his 1K+ on the ground. He's only an average receiver out of the backfield, and I have difficulty envisioning him in the game in 2nd and long and 3rd down passing situations, where he'd really pick up that yardage. And there are only so many outlet passes on 1st down that he'll get.

3. 2 WR will have 1000 yard seasons, giving us 3 players with 1000+ receiving yards.

I believe this will happen too.

4. Division title.

This gets more and more likely as Philly's injuries mount (and as ours do not). Still, I'd like to see a little more of the preseason before I'm convinced that we're the front-runner.

5. Complaints about defensive stats. Spurriers offensive strikes fast and often, time of possession is distorted. As a result, the defense is on the field more and teams are often playing catch up. Stats will not be an indicator of just how good this defense is.

I totally agree. This is where our defensive depth, particularly on the D-line, will play in spades. Like the so-called K-gun in Buffalo a decade ago, our offense's ability to score fast will put pressure on the defense by making them play more snaps. That will be mitigated somewhat by (hopefully) the opposing offense having to play catch-up, calling more and more desperate plays, resulting in 3-and-outs and turnovers.

6. Watch out for Chris Doering. He will make the roster and will surprise. He was a walk on in college, he's used to being the underdog. And his success is not predicated on Wuerffel being the QB, although that won't hurt.

If he makes the roster, that will be a surprise. However, I think he's just the guy to be the #6 WR, and to get into the game for 6-10 plays to make tough 3rd down catches in the middle of the field, or to run fades in the red zone. You're right, he could be a nice asset for us.

It's hard for me to imagine our QB getting to the pro bowl. The media hate us so much, they'll go to great lengths to keep any of our players away from Hawaii. Any non-Redskin fan will probably listen to them, which is unfortunate.

It was a total diss to Stephen Davis that he didn't get in the pro-bowl last year, whilst leading the NFC in rushing. Now that the media is tooting their horn about how he won't get enough carries, it's hard to see Stephen getting into the pro bowl this year because they'll all be writing articles covering their own arses when that time comes.

Dammit, I hate sportswriters. :shootinth

First, let me say Welcome!! I was also a lurker before I came on board. Glad to have you.

Now, as much as I hate to disagree with you, I must.

1. I don't think our QB will be in the pro-bowl. How I would love to be wrong (ok guys..mark the date...a woman wanting to be wrong). Not this year. Right now we are the most hated team and no matter how well we do, it will be consisdered a fluke.

2. SD won't get 1000/1000. On the ground, yes, but not through the air.

3. I agree with your #4 and #6.

Again, welcome aboard.

;)

Blondie

Welcome,

not sure about #2. But I am intrigued by Doering. Where did he come from? I know its just one pre-season game but he strikes me as a very poised and potentially consistant player. SS id going to have some tough cuts.

Originally posted by OrangeSkin

It's hard for me to imagine our QB getting to the pro bowl. The media hate us so much, they'll go to great lengths to keep any of our players away from Hawaii. Any non-Redskin fan will probably listen to them, which is unfortunate.

Gus Frerotte made the pro-bowl several years ago for gosh sakes! Don't tell me how it's impossible this year, or how the media hates us too much.

I agree that certain people like/prefer to see us fail, but this stuff goes a little too far sometimes.

I think Davis will have over 2000 yards combined but not 1000 yards recieving I'm thinking probably 6-700 or so, and about 1500 or so on the ground.

As for the quarterback I think there is a possibility of a pro-bowl appearence but definetly not as a starter.

Doering now he is interesting. he has been out of the NFL for two seasons after tearing his achilles tendon. I like him a lot and imagine he will make the team as a possession reciever, ala Henry Ellard. He is an extremely hard worker and will help to push our other recievers to achieve bigger and better things while piling up decent stats himself.

Welcome aboard! I'm glad I'm a part of this board, albeit I've been accused of posting too many threads lately. Hell, I was just recently awarded the title of the new king of starting threads. Funny!

Anyhoo! I agree with most of your observations. However, I think Davis will get his 1k on the ground, not in the air. I'm very intriqued by Doering, but I don't think he'll be on the roster. I hate the thought, but there's just too much talent at WR right now. Doering and Johnson are the odd men out. :(

Doering and Johnson are the odd men out? Who's in exactly? Not sure I understand your math.

Doering showed exactly what he is on Saturday. A precise route runner who makes tough catches in traffic and is slow but willing to fight you tooth and nail for the key yards when the time comes.

And forgive me for being persistent - but his catch in the corner of the endzone should have been a TD, and was the best catch all day by anyone.

And if Wuerffel plays - you can't say enough about the fact that there is a certain feel between them. Wuerffel seems to know exactly where CD is at all times on the field, and that can't be overstated in front of a hostile crowd or 3rd and 10.

(Plus he's got a pretty darn good WR coach now under whom he's sure to continue developing - SS Jr's gonna be a popular commodity one day).

so how many superbowls will this team win in the next 5 years. 5, 6 :) maybe they will be so good that they will award two titles for one of the years....come one people get a hold of yourself. hey maybe you will have a 2000 yard reciever, and a 6000 yard passer and a defense that only gave up 50 points the whole year. wurfell or mathews (or whomever you want to insert here, since SS is coaching it really doesn't matter). will be the next coming of dan marino and in three seasons will shatter all of marino's records. the skins will be the first team to go 19-0 and beat the vegas line every week and the first team to have a three digit vegas line ansd still beat it. :) hey I am just helping you guys out here :)

Couple questions for Gator guys:

I know SS throws for a lead and then runs for clock in order to achieve balance and rest the D (damn those scores came quick!). Is he ever the kind of guy to ride a horse mercilessly? I mean, if the team has a solid lead, it's the fourth quarter, and they cannot stop #48 for four or more yards, will he ride the pony until the do stop it? Or will he get bored and pitch after a couple?

Also, does he ever call the hook-n-ladder? Gibbs did a few times - it blew my mind as a kid - and I'd be pumped to see it again.

Originally posted by Smootylicious

I know SS throws for a lead and then runs for clock in order to achieve balance and rest the D (damn those scores came quick!). Is he ever the kind of guy to ride a horse mercilessly? I mean, if the team has a solid lead, it's the fourth quarter, and they cannot stop #48 for four or more yards, will he ride the pony until the do stop it? Or will he get bored and pitch after a couple?

He did once run Fred Taylor 43 times in a bowl game. How many backs ever get 43 carries in a game past high school?

Doering I thought was even more of a surprise than Danny Wuerffel. The kid came out and did his job and did it well. I think Doering's stock rose even more than Wuerffel's. Hopefully the kid can keep it up. Talk about a true underdog to root for: I think it should be Doering. He now needs to do this on a consistent basis to make the team. Will he? Well, after this weekend there is no way I am betting against any of the Gators.

TmkG8r, welcome aboard. I've needed a reason to care about some other team besides the Rams and this is it! A great 12:00 game in the east and a great one to follow that. Lots of history with the Skins, too (I always did like Riggins and Doug Williams). Most folks on this board will be doing back flips if the Skins only manage to earn a wildcard spot in the playoffs. Nuts to that! Although I expect the Skins in the playoff hunt at the end of the season, I anticipate winning the division title and I hope they find their way into the title game with a chance to win it all. Why aim low when you can aim high?

Oh, I don't think Davis will have a 1000/1000 season. Maybe he and Gillie or that fullback will combined, but not one person. Regardless, the backs should do well.

Originally posted by GoSkins

Doering and Johnson are the odd men out. :(

I think Doering is a lock to make the team. In fact, my guess is that he's the #4 receiver right now in Spurrier's mind -- after J. Green, Gardner and Lockett -- and may rank even higher by the end of preseason. Obvious #5 and #6 are Thompson and McCants.

Maybe Skaggs and Johnson can make the practice squad.

For Anthony, it's looking like the end of the line.

Next year, we get Cliff Russell back like a free draft choice. Not bad.

Thanks for the Welcome!

With regards to my predictions, an interesting anecdote on Spurrier. At a bosster club meeting prior to the start of his first season, he was asked who his starting QB would be. He replied "I'm not sure, but whoever it is will make All Conference."

Turned out the starter was Shane Matthews, who was first team SEC QB that year as a sophomore.

I agree the 1000/1000 scenario for Davis is the biggest reach. But I did say I was being bold and going out on a limb. No Guts, No Glory :cool:

Doering...presents match up problems in a 3-4 WR set. 6'4" and knows how to use his height. Most Gator fans knew the fade to the corner of the end zone was coming when he was ruled out of bounds on the one play. Excellent route runner, sure hands. Will make the team before Reidel Anthony. If I could get, say 10-1 odds, I'd bet Doering could be one of the 1000 yd receivers I'm talking about. At any rate, he'll be a league leader in % of catches for 3rd down conversions or % for TD. One route SOS didn't show much of was the fade to the sideline. Wuerfful/Doering execute this as well as anyone I've ever seen. It's all touch and timing, not arm strength and speed.

Another prediction...Mooch will not be the only coach Spurrier will piss off this season. That's one I'll give anyone 1-10 odds on

:laugh: :cheers:

GoSkins

Hey, that's why I said I'd take it at 10:1 for Doering. The point I'm trying to make is that at the end of the season there are going to be some individual/team stats on offense that NOBODY would have predicted in the preseason.

Good point about Fred Taylor's 43(?) carries in the Citrus Bowl against Penn State in the Citrus Bowl at the end of the 1997 season. I was there, it was my first look in person at Arrington.

Spurrier wanted to showcase Taylor for the draft since it was his last game as a Gator. It helped get the NFL scouts attention, then Taylor wowed them at the combine. It raised his stock and got him big $$$. Unfortunately most all of it was stolen by his agent, Tank Black. He was also Jacquez and Reidel's agent, he stole Million$$ from them.

The point is, SOS is loyal to his players and gave Fred the chance to showcase his skills.

SOS would have to really want to make a point to pile drive 'em mercilessly. He did it to Mississippi State last year in retribution for some atrocious behavior the previous year but that stuff is really rare.

I've never seen him employ the hook and ladder but you will probably see the Emory & Henry formation. Now that will indeed be fun!

Huh?

Some myths grow larger with time I guess.

Spurrier has thrown hook and lateral patterns at defenses in the past, but with rarity.

The Emory and Henry is overhyped and rarely of any utility other than getting a defense to waste a timeout. There was only one game where he ran any meaningful plays from the formation.

Now - the Fred Taylor story. This has become one of the most misused examples of SOS's offense since his resigning from UF. He was in no way "showcasing" Taylor for the draft. Taylor got 40+ carries that game because Spurrier was completely exasperated with his passing game. It was an admission of failure, if anything, on his part, to coach his QBs to execute his system that year. That Taylor was able to lead the Gators to any wins in that offense tends to lend some credence to those who want to say SOS was utilizing his great RB, but in fact that year was probably his worst offensive year at UF in quite some time, if not ever.

Steve is Steve. He's not going to run Davis 40 times a game. Sorry.

Archived