Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Madden Cover Curse in Full Effect!!!

skull1669

Bet you he won't last the season!!

McNabb hopes to play through painAssociated Press

PHILADELPHIA -- Donovan McNabb has an abdominal strain that will likely need surgery, but the Eagles' medical staff said the star quarterback can play if he can handle the pain.

Trainer Rick Burkholder said rest will not fix the problem. While McNabb will experience discomfort, Burkholder said McNabb does not have to be sidelined now for the sports hernia.

"We're hoping it's something we'll be able to manage," Burkholder said.

Philadelphia's Pro Bowl quarterback is expected to start Sunday against Kansas City.

McNabb was tested last week for the sports hernia, a tear in the abdominal area, but coach Andy Reid called the injury an abdominal strain after the Eagles' win over Oakland.

McNabb went to Boston on Tuesday for another opinion and it was confirmed he has a sports hernia. McNabb is willing to play through the pain.

"I'm ready to go," McNabb said Wednesday. "I don't have any concerns right now. It's just something you have to deal with and realize some days you'll feel great and some days you won't."

McNabb hoped to delay surgery.

"If I can avoid it, I definitely will avoid it," McNabb said. "If that's the case that I have to have it, then it will happen."

McNabb didn't know when he first hurt the area. He came into training camp with soreness in his abdomen. He seemed to be fine until the second game against San Francisco, when the injury was aggravated.

McNabb also is playing with soreness in his chest and a shin contusion.

The injury hasn't affected McNabb's performance too much. Against the 49ers, he matched his career best with five TD passes and threw for 342 yards while playing three quarters.

Against the Raiders, McNabb finished with 365 yards passing and two touchdowns while throwing a career-high 52 passes.

Reid said he would be smart with how he handles McNabb.

"If it ends up where he can't function, then we'll shut him down," Reid said.

Also, Reid said kicker David Akers will miss the game against the Chiefs because of a torn hamstring.

Akers originally strained his hamstring during two weeks ago against San Francisco and went down again after redoing the opening kickoff against the Raiders. He returned to make two extra points and the winning field goal in the second half.

Archived