Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN Insider:

bubba9497

Chat about football with PFW

http://proxy.espn.go.com/chat/chatESPN?event_id=9349

Jeff Reynolds: (4:02 PM ET ) OK. Let's get started.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Angel odessa, tx: When will the rest of the world notice that drew bledsoe is the best free agent signing this year?

Jeff Reynolds: (4:04 PM ET ) I must admit, Angel, I was among the doubters when Dallas signed Bledsoe. I expected a decent season, maybe the slightest improvement from Vinny Testaverde, but Bledsoe is playing as he did in 2003, like he has something to prove. His play in the fourth quarter has been particularly surprising. The key is how he's responded to pressure up the middle. He leads the NFC in QB rating and has just two turnovers. I cannot believe Parcells anticipated Bledsoe being this solid.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jeremy (Sioux Falls,SD): Hey Mr. Reynolds, is K. Jones going to turn it around this year or will it be a downer

Jeff Reynolds: (4:06 PM ET ) Kevin Jones' slow start has a lot to do with the offensive line, Jeremy. Jones' 3.3-yard average and long run of eight yards are disappointing. The expectation was Jones would set the table for the passing game. But teams are making Joey Harrington beat them. It won't get any easier for Jones unless the aerial attack starts clicking.

Derek (INDY): Is it just me, or are the pieces falling in place for the Colts? The "D" is looking good. The way this team is winning reminds me of how the Pats did it in the past couple of years. Keep it close with the "D" and win it with the offense by grinding the other team's D with the run.

Jeff Reynolds: (4:09 PM ET ) Yes, Derek, the "D" is looking good. Depth and speed are assets lost on this group in the past. But the keep-it-close approach ... why? I'm baffled that the Colts have been as conservative as they have through three games. If you can score 50 points, why settle for 15? The explanation from Indianapolis is that they are seeing mostly nickel and dime defenses. That makes it enticing to cram Edgerrin James between the tackles 25 times. It's take-what's-given from a team that could steal whatever it wants. I believe you build an offense around your personnel, not the opposite. This offense should be among the best in football. Instead, it's 21st overall. The bottom line: 3-0. But the approach is baffling.

Terry (Denver, CO): I was very impressed with the way Denver played KC last night. Do you think Denver can maintain that kind of intensity throughout the year and win the AFC West?

Jeff Reynolds: (4:12 PM ET ) You weren't alone, Terry. The Broncos had everything going on Monday. For years, we've seen that it all starts with the ground game. When the Broncos get production from the RB position, the offense works. What was most surprising was the Broncos' front seven bottling up Priest Holmes and Larry Johnson. This comes on the heels of a 17-carry, 52-yard outing by LaDainian Tomlinson at Denver. Again, I couldn't be more stunned at the free-agent impact of Denver's front four on the D-line. Let's see if health becomes an issue at all.

JARBRELL(COLUMBUS,OH): is it time for the bills to give holocomb a chance a qb or am i pushing the panick button to soon on losman?

Jeff Reynolds: (4:17 PM ET ) He's trying to do too much, Jarbrell, and completing less than 50 percent of his passes. This was a long-term commitment, going from Bledsoe to Losman, but the Bills might give Holcomb a try next week if Losman doesn't improve. He's had open receivers. This week, he grossly overthrew Lee Evans and Eric Moulds on deep and underneath routes. If he can't hit open receivers, his value is almost zero to this offense.

Campbell (Philly): Is Willie Parkers time over? i really thought he improved the Steelers but w/ the bye week - it's obvious The BUS & DUCE are coming back for their RB roles.

Jeff Reynolds: (4:22 PM ET ) I'd hold the obit Campbell. Parker leads the AFC in rushing and is averaging 5.1 yards per carry.

Joe (York,Pa): Will Mike Sherman make it the rest of the season? Do the Packers have any chance to get back on track?

Jeff Reynolds: (4:25 PM ET ) I don't like the Packers' chances, Joe. The talent level isn't what it once was, even as recently as last season, when they started 1-4 and then surged in October and November. Losing Darren Sharper, Javon Walker, Marco Rivera and Mike Wahle depleted the roster of four Pro Bowl-caliber players. No team recovers from that immediately, and the Packers drafted for the future instead of filling those needs. Plus, here's the upcoming schedule: at CAR, vs. NO, bye, at MIN, at CIN, vs. PIT, at ATL, vs. MIN at PHI. I don't know if they can win more than two of those games, Joe.

Joel (Houston TX): How Much will Pendrey help the Texans offensive if at all?

Jeff Reynolds: (4:27 PM ET ) Joel, I'd say the changes will be clear-cut. Don't expect an elaborate, downfield offense. Instead, Pendry will bring in a short, high-percentage, West Coast-type passing offense that forces Carr to deliver the ball quickly on three-step drops. RB Domanick Davis becomes the focal point. The plan is to play it safe and let the defense become the dominant unit. Whether or not the talent level on this "D" can carries it weight ... not from what I've seen.

Steve Dallas, TX: Jeff, did Culpepper show signs of improving on Sunday, or was he just facing a poor defense in the Saints?

Jeff Reynolds: (4:32 PM ET ) He took what was there, Steve. While RCB Jason Craft was easy prey, Daunte did a nice job spreading the ball around, didn't force throws and finally received support from the ground game (101 yds from M. Moore). Listen, Culpepper is completing almost 65 percent of his passes. The key is, he has to understand the system he learned in, and the idea that big plays win games with Dennis Green, can also get him beat.

Jay(NYC): Jeff-Please provide your assessment on Eli's performace this week? The real deal or one-hit wonder?

Jeff Reynolds: (4:35 PM ET ) Let's not coronate Eli until we see him produce over time, Jay, but I was impressed with his poise in the last two games. That said, San Diego (27th) and New Orleans (18) have been soft against the past. What is convincing, though, is the decision-making and poise. He has the physical talent to be the real deal. If he can do the same at Philly or Washington, it would be more convincing.

Ben Toledo, OH: Ok Jeff, enough dodging the Raider Nation questions. People are getting worried, However, I still think there is hope, we played a brutal 3 game opener, but our schedule gets easier. Do we still have enough time to get it clicking and push for the AFC WEST crown???

Jeff Reynolds: (4:37 PM ET ) We'd never dodge Raider Nation, Ben. Let's say I'd like Oakland's chances if it had taken care of its loan divisional game (vs. Kansas City) in Week Two. Coming back from 0-3 is possible, but they almost have to run the table in the West at this point. A win vs. Dallas this week, and there is a chance. But there's not coming back from 0-4 in the AFC.

Korey(Atlanta): Who will win on sunday, my Falcons or the Vikings???

Jeff Reynolds: (4:39 PM ET ) Atlanta is a different team at home, Korey. I expect a tight game, but the Vikings have to take advantage of the Falcons' lack of size in the front seven. Thus far, Minnesota's offensive line hasn't proven it can maul any team in the running game. However, the Vikings do have the personnel to do that. And if Jason Webster isn't back from injury this week, Christian Morton might become the Vikings' MVP.

Dave (Wolcott, CT): How serious is the Matt Light injury and do you think the Patriots can recover from it?

Jeff Reynolds: (4:41 PM ET ) Word is, Light has a broken bone below his knee. The question is, which one? The length of time Light misses is critical. Rookie Nick Kaczur might replace him this week vs. San Diego, giving the Patriots an all-rookie left side of the line. That would be a huge challenge for a team averaging 2.48 yards per rush. Brady, believe it or not, can't do it all by himself.

Chris (Sacramento): With Nate Burleson ailing, who does Daunte Culpepper look to as the go-to guy? Travis Taylor or Marcus Robinson? And does Troy Williamson figure to get more balls and looks in the red zone?

Jeff Reynolds: (4:44 PM ET ) So far it's been a combination of all of the above, Chris. Head coach Mike Tice indicated that rookie Troy Williamson is "coming of age" in recent weeks. I'm not sure that is the case, but Williamson has been more involved and is a difficult match-up for most nickel cornerbacks. Williamson can flat fly (4.37 40-yard dash), which is why he's there. In the redzone, this offense always has preferred play action to the tight ends or fades to Randy Moss or Marcus Robinson. That isn't likely to change.

Patrick (Cleveland, OH): Is Isaac Bruce going to miss any time with turf toe? If he does, do you think Curtis and McDonald can subsitute nicely?

Jeff Reynolds: (4:46 PM ET ) Bruce has played with some injuries in the past, Patrick, but his most recent maladies (hamstring) have forced him to sit down. I'd be shocked if he plays at less than 100 percent. There is no reason to risk further injury in the first month of the season. If that's the case, Curtis is the best No. 2 option.

Cincinnati,OH: How about my Cincinnati Bengals they are the hottest team in the league unstopable look out

Jeff Reynolds: (4:48 PM ET ) Incredible offensive balance and a defensive backfield that has made some plays have the Bengals at No. 5 in PFW's power rankings. The unheralded aspect of this team, the offensive line, deserves a bunch of credit. Key for the Bengals is handling a difficult upcoming stretch that includes games at Jacksonville and Baltimore and a pivotal home date with the Steelers.

Chuck (Memphis): I don't know how you guys determine which questions to post, but it's a joke. All difficult questions are avoided and you cater to the fantasy losers. Nice job.

Jeff Reynolds: (4:49 PM ET ) Thanks Chuck. Great question.

Joe (Carolina): Has Jake Delhomme taken a stupid pill this year? he is making a ton of bad throws

Jeff Reynolds: (4:52 PM ET ) Delhomme has never been afraid to force a ball into tight coverage and make his receivers make a great play, Joe, but that's hurt him at times in his career. The OT interception at Atlanta, a pick this week in Miami with under 2:30 to play, those are critical mistakes and one of Delhomme's greatest flaws. But he does bring a lot to the table for an offense that lacks a real superstar outside of Steve Smith. If they can develop Keary Colbert (who led the NFC in drops last season) or a tight end to open the passing game underneath, watch out.

Jack (NY): With Pennington possibly done for his career, and the Jets likely to have a losing season, should they look to draft Matt Leinart this year if they have a high enough pick.

Jeff Reynolds: (5:00 PM ET ) GM Terry Bradway's job is on the line, Jack. The decision, more specifically how he recovers from losing Pennington once again, will make or break his future. They are paying Pennington as if he were one of the top eight quarterbacks in the NFL. Realistically, with his injury history, he cannot be counted on. Bradway has shown a flair for the dramatic, moving up for Dewayne Robertson, signing Ty Law ... now he might consider going away from the cover boy like Leinart, who might cost $75 million to sign.

Ed (Jacksonville): What's the outlook for the Jags in the AFC South and potential playoff run?

Jeff Reynolds: (5:02 PM ET ) Jacksonville knows how to win, Ed. Most experts made them a sexy pick last season. It looks like they were just a year ahead of themselves. Remember, injuries and a lack of depth slowed this group down in 2004. The same issues could arise, especially with depth. Shoring up the O-line is a must. Leftwich takes too many hits and the leader of the defense, SS Donovin Darius, already is gone. But no one can argue with this start, Ed.

Jeff Reynolds: (5:03 PM ET ) Thanks for all of the great questions, folks. We'll see you next week.

Archived