Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CBS: Pay the man, Eagles: Westbrook keeps proving worth

tr1

Sep. 27, 2005

By Clark Judge

CBS SportsLine.com Senior Writer

http://www.sportsline.com/print/nfl/story/8898782

PHILADELPHIA -- The more I hear about Terrell Owens the more I wonder about Brian Westbrook. Owens is the Eagles' All-Pro wide receiver who wants a new contract from the club, and good luck. The Eagles don't renegotiate contracts, and Owens is in the second year of his $49 million deal.

Scatback Brian Westbrook is equally dangerous as a receiver. (AP)

But Westbrook is another matter. The star running back is locked into a one-year, $1.43 million tender he reluctantly accepted after failing to gain a multi-year deal this summer. He's not happy, and he can do something about it after the season when his contract expires.

Philadelphia better hope he doesn't.

The Eagles can win without Owens, and they demonstrated it in last year's NFC playoffs. But I'm not sure they can win without Westbrook, and I offer the 2003 playoffs as proof. The club fell to Carolina with Westbrook on the sidelines, and while I won't argue that he was the difference, he did provide a dimension that was missed.

That dimension was on display in Sunday's 23-20 defeat of Oakland, a game where Westbrook produced 208 yards in offense -- including 140 yards receiving. He caught the game's longest pass. He caught its second longest. He produced the longest run. He averaged over 23 yards a catch and over 5 yards a carry.

Oh, yeah, he also scored twice.

"We knew that if he went out of the backfield that they were going to get him the ball," said Raiders' safety Stuart Schweigert. "We knew that he was their most valuable player. Even with (Donovan) McNabb and Owens out there we knew that he was the guy that we had to stop."

It's hard to imagine the Eagles and Westbrook not living happily ever after, but, hey, I never imagined them cutting Jeremiah Trotter three years ago, either. Let's just say it's always out there as a possibility, especially considering that Westbrook already rejected a multi-year deal.

Now let's get one thing straight: The Eagles aren't stupid. They got to where they are by making smart business decisions. In Westbrook, they know what they have, and what they have is a multi-dimensional back who can run, block and catches passes.

"He's Charlie Garner," said one AFC executive.

And the Eagles want to keep him. But talks are off until after the season, which means a whole new set of variables may be involved when negotiations resume. For the moment, at least, the Eagles are encouraged that Westbrook wants them as much as they need him. Now it's just a matter of finding the right price.

But that's the problem: Just what is Brian Westbrook worth to the Eagles?

We gained a clue when Oakland came to town over the weekend. The Raiders last March signed free-agent running back LaMont Jordan to a five-year, $27.5 million deal that included an $11 million signing bonus and $17.8 million in guaranteed money over the first three years.

Then they set him loose on Westbrook and the Eagles. Result: 19 yards rushing, 53 yards receiving and a TKO by Westbrook.

"I didn't put up yards against anyone but their defense," Westbrook said when comparisons between the two were made. "LaMont Jordan doesn't play defense. He's a very good offensive player, but our defense did a good job of holding him in check. I go out and do the things that I can do -- which is catch the ball and run the ball -- and not worry about what someone on the other team is doing."

It's what the other team wasn't doing -- namely covering Westbrook -- that should have caught everyone's attention Sunday. Linebackers couldn't stay with him. Safeties struggled to cover him. Even cornerback Charles Woodson played catch-up with him on a reception that covered 37 yards.

"You put Westbrook out there on a linebacker, and it's money all day," said tight end L.J. Smith. "He's one of those rare running backs who can give you one move and go 80 yards. He can run away from safeties and corners. He's so athletic I would go to him at least 10 times a game."

Funny, but that's exactly the number of passes McNabb aimed at him Sunday, and you saw what happened. Five of his six catches produced first downs, including two on the game-clinching drive, and Westbrook wound up with his 12th consecutive game -- including the playoffs -- with at least 100 yards in offense.

He scored in nine of those 12.

"My performance is going to speak for itself," he said. "If they (the Eagles) feel as though I'm good enough to play my position and do the things that I'm doing then I should get rewarded for that. If I don't then I shouldn't. But I continue to go out and make plays. That's what I'm here for."

The Eagles understandably are concerned about Westbrook's durability. At 5-feet-10, 205 pounds, he is not built to withstand punishment, and the Eagles know it. That's one reason they made him part of a rotation that once involved Duce Staley and Correll Buckhalter.

But Staley is gone. So is Buckhalter, out for the season with another injury. And the Eagles are left to wonder how far Westbrook -- who missed parts of each of his first three seasons with injuries -- can take them. We caught a glimpse Sunday, and it was enough for me.

The Eagles need Brian Westbrook, now and for the future. So he's not the most talented back in the league. So he's not in your top five. All I know is the guy is versatile and valuable -- someone the club could plug into some of Owens' positions last year after he bowed out.

"Brian is a valuable and important part of the team," said Eagles' president Joe Banner. "We've made it clear we want him here, and he's also made it clear he wants to stay. Hopefully, at the right time, we can get a deal done with him."

They better. Brian Westbrook is perfect for Philadelphia. The Eagles wonder if they can afford him. The truth is they can't afford to let him get away.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Copyright © 1995 - 2005 SportsLine.com, Inc. All rights reserved. SportsLine is a registered service mark of SportsLine.com, Inc.

CBS "eye device" is a registered trademark of CBS Broadcasting, Inc.

"Brian is a valuable and important part of the team," said Eagles' president Joe Banner. "We've made it clear we want him here, and he's also made it clear he wants to stay. Hopefully, at the right time, we can get a deal done with him."

what are they waiting for? seriously. aren't they like 12mil under the cap?

someone was saying there's some sign and trade deals in the mix btwn philly and st louis for westbrook+pick for steven jackson+pick

Archived