Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: When It Comes to Gibbs, D. Williams Understands

spanishomelette

What we'll see here during this new Joe Gibbs era is whether or not the QB position has gotten any more important over the last 10 years or so. Because back in the day, it really didn't matter who the QB of the Redskins was - just about anyone with some modicum of NFL ability could sit back behind a solid O-line and toss passes and hand the ball off 30+ times a game.

If Gibbs' system is still relevant, it won't matter who the QB is... just the guy who screws it up the least will do. But I suspect that in today's NFL, with all the newfangled defensive schemes out there, QB talent matters a little bit more, and we might see that nowadays you need to take the raw talent and mold it into something useable.

• 2 weeks later...

that is rediculous. thats why we have home field advantages in sports.. i mean... duuuhhhhh..... the raiders have had one of the best home field advantages ever.. don't cry cause your teams can come into fed ex and win... tell your story to someone or a crowd of people that care... you aren't gonna calm us redskin fans down.. SORRRY

:helmet: :dallasuck

I remember when I went to a few games back when the skins were at RFK. The stadium was so loud, my ears rang for a day. The basball side of the seating on the visiter side moved because of all the people cheering and jumping around. For a stadium as loud as FedEx to get as loud as it did against the bears takes alot of the fans. This is something that should be used as fan motivation to give the Skins that "HOME FIELD ADVANTAGE" that we had back in Gibb's first tenure as coach. Ignore the Dallas fan that wrote that column and let's show the league what "HOME FIELD ADVANTAGE" is meant to be so the sissy writer that is obviously a cowboys fan has somethng to write about each week. :cheers: :eaglesuck :gaintsuck

What we'll see here during this new Joe Gibbs era is whether or not the QB position has gotten any more important over the last 10 years or so. Because back in the day, it really didn't matter who the QB of the Redskins was - just about anyone with some modicum of NFL ability could sit back behind a solid O-line and toss passes and hand the ball off 30+ times a game.

If Gibbs' system is still relevant, it won't matter who the QB is... just the guy who screws it up the least will do. But I suspect that in today's NFL, with all the newfangled defensive schemes out there, QB talent matters a little bit more, and we might see that nowadays you need to take the raw talent and mold it into something useable.

The reason why Gibbs could use any QB and still win in the past was because he had the best offensive line in the history of the NFL, and the offense as a whole was solid across the board, made up of players who had been with the team and in the system for years. With all the other pieces in place, you can get away with a Brunell-type QB. You have a hard time building that kind of stability and cohesion with free agency the way it is today. You have to be able to win while taking some risks on talented players who may not be dead perfect in every phase of the game.

Archived