Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Special Teams

Art Monk Fan

To me, the quick switch back to Brunell means Gibbs feels he can win by riding our great defense. Mark doesn't make many exciting plays, but he makes fewer mistakes as well. Joe wants the offense to stay out of the way get a few points and then sit on any small lead.

But, in order to win with an offense like that, we need not only a stellar defense (which we truly do have), but also steady special teams play to help both sides of the ball out with field position.

And here we are, in the second week of the season, without our place kicker, punter, and return man of choice -- two to injury and one to a cut. Do we currently have the special teams to use the 2000 Ravens formula?

To me, the quick switch back to Brunell means Gibbs feels he can win by riding our great defense. Mark doesn't make many exciting plays, but he makes fewer mistakes as well. Joe wants the offense to stay out of the way get a few points and then sit on any small lead.

But, in order to win with an offense like that, we need not only a stellar defense (which we truly do have), but also steady special teams play to help both sides of the ball out with field position.

And here we are, in the second week of the season, without our place kicker, punter, and return man of choice -- two to injury and one to a cut. Do we currently have the special teams to use the 2000 Ravens formula?

great question. I think we could have great teams if Gibbs goes with Moss as a PR. However I wish he didn't. I hope he uses Moss as he used Green when we need a chance in a game.

Yeah, this is a big concern for me, too. Gibbs always said that you have to win two out of three aspects of the game (offense, defense, special teams). Given the kicker situation, etc., I'd have to give the Girls the edge on special teams, so the Skins gotta win on both defense and offense. I'm sure they'll win on defense. The offense? Very unlikely.

What about Parsons on our Practice Squad? can we bring him up? we need a 5th reciever anyway.

I threw in the return man part to be complete, but I'm less worried about that than the other two spots. As you point out, there are options in the roster and practice squad.

It's the two kickers I'm worried about. While I don't think they're going to be disasters, the emphasis that will be placed on defense and special teams while playing such a careful, close-to-the-vest offense will really accentuate any problems in the kicking game.

Gibbs seems so enamored of the 2000 Ravens model, but our D doesn't cause as many turn overs, or score as many points as theirs did. Now I'm worried these recent hits to the special teams will make it even harder to follow their formula.

I don't think the 2000 ravens formula will ever work again. so I seriously hope Gibbs isn't duplicating it. that being said hopefully they have been scouting Novak and they feel confident with him. and if we use betts and thrash as our return guys I feel we should be ok. does anyone know what happened to Chandler? he was ok I thought. :helmet:

Yeah, this is a big concern for me, too. Gibbs always said that you have to win two out of three aspects of the game (offense, defense, special teams). Given the kicker situation, etc., I'd have to give the Girls the edge on special teams, so the Skins gotta win on both defense and offense. I'm sure they'll win on defense. The offense? Very unlikely.

If Moss breaks a punt return which is very possible, then we very easily can win the special teams war. I personally think that if Moss is back there they will kick it out of bounds, which usually works out great for field position.

Archived