Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Sean Taylor's trial

jrfriedm

I'm sure this has been discussed ad nausea but when was Taylor's trial postponed too? I thought that it was postponed until after the season, but somebody told me that it's now schedule for sometime in October :confused:

Just so you all know, I did run a search on this and got like 25 pages of topics and I went through the first three, but I just don't have enough time too go through all of them.

Thanks a lot.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/09/08/AR2005090800950.html

Taylor Has His Trial Date Postponed Until October

By Nunyo Demasio

Washington Post Staff Writer

Friday, September 9, 2005; E04

Sean Taylor's trial date, originally scheduled for Monday, was postponed yesterday until Oct. 24 by Miami-Dade Circuit Judge Mary Barzee.

At a hearing in Miami, Taylor's attorney, Edward Carhart, made the formal request for a continuance, citing the need for more time to prepare for his defense.

The state attorney general's office reiterated yesterday that it doesn't object to a delay until after the season ends in January. And Carhart is expected to request at least one more continuance so that the trial doesn't occur until 2006.

"I thought it would have been too greedy of me," Carhart said, when asked why he didn't request that the trial be pushed further back.

The Redskins will face the San Francisco 49ers on Oct. 23 and the New York Giants on Oct. 30.

This week, Barzee turned down the state attorney's request that Taylor be required to attend yesterday's hearing, and Taylor practiced in preparation for the season opener Sunday at home against the Chicago Bears.

Taylor has been charged with one count of aggravated assault with a firearm and one misdemeanor count of simple battery after a June 1 confrontation between two groups in a Miami neighborhood. Taylor faces a minimum of three years and a maximum of 16.

Taylor's attorney yesterday also formally turned down a plea bargain offer to waive the mandatory minimum by removing the firearm allegation. If Taylor had accepted, he would have been forced to accept a negotiated sentence almost certainly requiring jail time.

Taylor, declining to speak about his legal issues, said he is looking forward to the season.

"We don't have any stats right now. We're not ranked," said Taylor of Washington's third-ranked defense last season. "We're nothing. We're zero. So that speaks on what we have to come out and do.

"We got through our little four-week period of preseason and we're ready for the season."

Blondie

Archived