Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Price rejects Cowboys offer: Ball remains in their court

HeHateMe

This one could get interesting. I think Jones wants him more than Parcells. Lets see who ends up winning.

http://www.cowboysplus.com/topstorync/stories/090305cpcowdate.1ca216d5.html

Price's agent rejects offer from Cowboys

Receiver, courted by four teams, wants long-term contract

09:01 PM CDT on Friday, September 2, 2005

By JEAN-JACQUES TAYLOR and TODD ARCHER / The Dallas Morning News

IRVING – Coach Bill Parcells said he met with free-agent receiver Peerless Price Friday morning to discuss how he would fit into the Cowboys' offense.

Later, the Cowboys offered him a contract.

"It's nothing to make us move right now," said Tim McGee, Price's agent. "The ball is in their court."

McGee said he sent the Cowboys the parameters of what it would take to reach a deal. Price will visit the Saints in San Antonio today. The Cowboys are one of four teams to make Price an offer.

Parcells said the meeting went well.

"I told Peerless he would have to make his own role," Parcells said.

Parcells said Price, waived earlier this week by Atlanta, wants a long-term contract.

"I think he does have quickness, and I think he is receptive to coaching. And he has been productive in the league," said Parcells, "but as I told you I wouldn't get too presumptuous on this one."

Price arrived in Dallas last night and watched the final quarter of the Cowboys' preseason win over Jacksonville with owner Jerry Jones before having dinner with quarterback Drew Bledsoe.

"He has to decide where he wants to play. We've explored that, but I don't think anything is final," Parcells said.

Injured coach Lynn thankful: In his first public comments since being injured in a hit-and-run accident by a drunk driver two weeks ago in Ventura, Calif., running backs coach Anthony Lynn said he is thankful to be alive.

"I don't remember the accident, but after I found out what happened it was real scary," he said. "In the blink of an eye my wife could've been a widow and my kids could've been fatherless. That's something you never really think about.

"My life will never be the same after that. I thank God for sparing my life. I feel blessed. I'm here for a reason, and I want to make the most of this second chance."

Romo sits to pee, Thomas named backups: Tony Romo sits to pee was named the Cowboys' backup quarterback.

"I do think I would use him if I felt like the situation warranted whether it would be lopsided or not," coach Bill Parcells said. "I have confidence in the player."

Running back Anthony Thomas will be Julius Jones' backup after an impressive training camp.

Close to home: Coach Bill Parcells said he has had several friends in New Orleans affected by the aftermath of Katarina.

"One friend of mine lost his house down there, brand new house," Parcells said. "I haven't been able to get a hold of two or three others."

Briefly: Coach Bill Parcells said he is not sure he has seen enough of safety Rich Coady, a Richardson Pearce and Texas A&M product, to determine whether he'll make the team. ... Defensive end Marcus Spears received praise for his performance. ...The players will meet today, but won't practice.

E-mail jjtaylor@dallasnews.com

Archived