Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN Insider: NFL with Gary Horton

bubba9497

NFL with Gary Horton

http://proxy.espn.go.com/chat/chatESPN?event_id=9102

The ShowGirl: Welcome to The Show! Gary Horton will be here any minute. Send in those NFL questions now!

Gary Horton: This was sort of the lull before the storm in terms of the NFL season. Preseason Week 4, ironically, is a game that most teams don't want to play. The only goal this week is to stay healthy. You won't see many veterans play much or much active gameplanning as nobody wants to tip their hat. We are now in a mode where NFL teams are worried about two things .. cutting down the roster and gameplanning for week 1. I'm ready for your questions!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jason, PA: Do you see Warrick and P.Price demanding much attention and if so from who?

Gary Horton: I think both will get another job. But I don't think either is considered a difference maker. At this stage, both of these guys are probably decent No. 3 receivers that could certainly stabilize a receiving corp. But neither are tough matchups or guys who can dominate. Both will get jobs but they will be complimentary jobs.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

united10 (philipsburg): now who will vick throw to in atlanta now that price is gone?

Gary Horton: Well, his number one target is TE Crumpler. But they are hoping Roddy White will develop. The one thing that really surprised me was that ATL didn't get a No. 1 receiver like Muhammad or Mason. Price was never comfortable as a No. 1 receiver. He was absolutely non-effective when he had to play the opposing team's top corner. He has always had success as a complimentary guy, even in Buffalo. With Vick still struggling as a passer, I just don't understand why ATL didn't go get him a receiver he could count on. Even Burress, a big guy that could run around and make catches and bail Vick out, would have been a tremendous upgrade.

3FF (Arlington, VA): Any chance the Colts would show interest in Simon? Wouldn't he patch up their spotty run defense?

Gary Horton: Yes, no question they would love to have him but I don't think they have the salary cap money. That is obviously why they haven't been able to address the defense. I think he will end up in Baltimore. There is no question the biggest weakness in the Indy defense is the interior defensive line.

Ryan (philly): SHould the eagles go after Price? With TO infront of him, could price but up similiar number to that of when Moulds was his #1??

Gary Horton: That actually makes a lot of sense. As we already mentioned, Price functions better as a No. 2 guy. You would think the Eagles are a place that would be interested. But I get the feeling from Atlanta that he was no longer a real viable option. They made the decision early to cut him. That usually tells you he was giving them no hope of production.

Tony (Quincy): What do you see as Marshall Faulks role in the St. Louis offense? Will he be used as a receiver in the slot?

Gary Horton: I think he will be used in more of a nickel role backing up Stephen Jackson. He can still catch out of the backfield and is a quality third down back. He may be the smartest back in the league so I think Martz will try to get him the ball 10-15 times, mostly as a receiver.

Dan (Chicago): If Kyle Orton does well this season, what should they do with Rex grossman?

Gary Horton: I still think they keep Grossman. They really believe he is the franchise QB. You can look at Grossman's early career two ways .. either he is injury-prone or he has just been unlucky. But this organization really believed in him coming into the season. If Orton develops, that gives them two quality QBs going into next season. However, asking Orton to perform at a high level is probably over-optimistic. I just don't understand why with Grossman's injury past they didn't have a quality, veteran No. 2 QB. That could come back to bite an improving young team.

Chris (Sioux Falls): Will Plumber stop losing games for the Broncos this year. I dont have any faith in Jake the Mistake. I would rather have someone like Dilfer that doesnt screw up a game.

Gary Horton: I think what you see from Plummer now is what you will always get, high risk and high reward. He will give you some big plays with his scrambling and throwing on the run but he will also make his share of mistakes. They are the dominating run team they have been in the past so that will only put more pressure on Plummer. Denver will just have to live with his inconsistencies. A guy like Dilfer would only make sense with a dominating defense and dominatin run game where all they needed was a caretaker at QB.

Shawn (Vegas(Sioux Falls)): Gary - I know it sounds crazy, but is there any chance the NFL would consider Shanoff's proposal of putting the Saints first couple home games up for auction to the highest bidding city?? You could raise a TON of money, I am sure that Vegas would love a chance to get a pro football game!

Gary Horton: From a humanitarian standpoint that would make a lot of sense. In a traveling road show, you could go into a lot of cities that don't have NFL teams that would spend money to see an NFL game and also because of the human aspects fo the tragedy and the ability to help. The one positive about the Saints is because they are not overly successful, they don't have a fanatic fan base. They are one of the few teams that could play all their games away and not suffer great damage. It would be tough on the players and coaches but it is a concept that might make sense. Even if the dome could be restored, you have to think the last thing on people's minds in New Orleans for the next 4-5 months if football. I would really think even playing at home would not attract a lot of fans.

Chad (St. Paul): I can why QB's might fail in the pros but why do you beleive Florida Gator WRs have done so poorly over the past 7-8 years once they turn pro.

Gary Horton: I have really searched for an answer on that because I really believe it to be true. The best I can come up with is the system has produced players with good numbers that don't transfer to the NFL. Much like 10-15 years ago, BYU was producing great QBs that had marginal NFL careers because of the system. I think the Florida receivers under Spurrier were great route runners with a very sophisticated passing game that teams couldn't defend. When those guys got to the NFL in man-to-man, their ability to seperate from the DB was greatly hindered. All these Florida receivers seem to struggle vs. tight man-to-man.

Brian( NY, NY): Barring any injury setback, do you see any reason that Tiki Barber will not have as good a season as last season, if not better?

Gary Horton: I think that is the key. If he stays healthy, he can have a very similar year. I don't think the Giants want to be a pass-first team. Esp. if Eli struggles, Barber might get even more work. You would like to think Burress will open up the passing game and prevent teams from putting 8 in the box to stop Barber. But this is a Catch-22. If Manning is throwing well and stretching the field, Barber will have more room to run and could put up big numbers. If Manning struggles, Barber will get more chances to produce, but against a stacked defense.

Kate: I know only guys understand football but I see some major problems beginning to fester in vikingland despite all the marvelous PR. Their oline is showing cracks and while everyone is happy with the spread it around O I think the dcoordinators around the league will figure it out? Seems to me there yards per carry is down a bit this preseason and two rbs are already dinged up.

Gary Horton: I would tend to disagree, Kate. I think with Moss gone, Culpepper will do a great job of spreading it around and not worrying about who gets the majority of the catches. I'm worried about the running game. They will miss OC Matt Burke. But this offense has lots of balance. Their receivers will really step up and replace Moss's production. I think the run game will develop, even if it is by committee.

Boss (Chicago): Kate intimidates me.

Gary Horton: She may intimidate you but I respect her! She has legitimate concerns. If she is right and I'm wrong, I hope she reminds me in a couple weeks!

Ronnie (Wilmington,De): Over the years, has the Eagles been that good or just taking advantage of a weak NFC?

Gary Horton: No, they really are that good. Because of their front office, they have a real chance to stay good. They have the uncanny ability to unload fading veterans a year before they really go bad. You just don't see dead money on this roster. They have depth at almost every position. They also are very good at finding undrafted free agents which keeps them young and makes their salary cap cheap on the back end allowing them to get a veteran when they need to.

Stuart (Brooklyn, NY): Hey Gary. How do you think Holmes will do after the performance of LJ last Saturday? Vermeil seems a little perplexed how to utilize his backs. Any thoughts?

Gary Horton: This is still Priest's team but LJ is closer to pushing Holmes that many realize. I hope Priest stays healthy but I think he is starting to break down. It would not surprise me if he has lots of nagging injuries this season and if quietly he starts to fade a little. Luckily for the Chiefs they have two RBs that can play. They will need both before the season is over.

Kyle (Columbus, Ohio): Complete this sentence. In four years, Drew Henson will be.......

Gary Horton: online chatting with us? I just don't think he will make it as a NFL QB. I really hoped he would but Tony Romo sits to pee has outplayed him in Dallas and Henson may be the perfect example of a great athlete with intelligence who just can't transfer it to the field. He doesn't look like a natural decision maker who can slow the game down and see everything. Some guys are great practice players but just can't do it at full speed in a game. I think Henson is one of those guys.

Tim (Rochester, NY): Gary, teams seem to be pretty good at keeping secrets, and there are always a few surprises in week one. Which week one matchups intrigue you most? (dare I suggest that the Raiders have a chance against New England?)

Gary Horton: I don't think it will happen. But I've talked to the Raiders and they really feel they can win this game. They think NE's defense is vulnerable to the passing game. Oakland has moved the ball well in the preseason and has confidence they can score on anyone. The key will be defense. Can they put together enough stops to hold NE in check? The Raiders are probably going to have to be a team like the Colts and just outscore their opponents. This Pats defense is so saavy, I expect them to come up with some exotic schemes to confuse the Raiders.

Jack (Moorpark): What will it take for Mike Tice to keep his job? Make it to the NFC Title game? Superbowl?

Gary Horton: I think all the positive publicity in the offseason actually puts more pressure on Tice. With new ownership, this team is expected to win the division and do well in the playoffs. If they don't, there may be the feeling that Tice didn't do his job. With his offseason problems with the league, there is pressure on him to have a huge year. But I think this is a very stable coaching staff and I think they do a very good job. I would hate to see ownership make a change if this team doesn't live up to expetations this year. I expect them to do well and for Tice to earn a multi-year extension.

Nate (philly): Where does Maurice Clarett land? With Dillon as a reformed 'troubled but talented guy' mentor and the tough love/good coaching do the Patriots make some sense?

Gary Horton: I think somebody will probably take him but I don't think there will be a bidding war. A couple teams might think to put him on a practice squad and use this as a developmental year. He wasn't even competitive in the Broncos camp. You get the feeling that even though he supposedly wasn't healthy that he just didn't work hard enough. I know this .. had Clarett showed anything in terms of intensity, Denver could have easily put him on a practice squad but didn't. It seems he just went through the motions. We are seeing enough question marks, that eventually you have to say he doesn't have it. A lot of teams have done that already.

Gary Horton: We are 8 days away from the NFL opener with Oakland at NE! I think it will be a great way to kick off the season. But without trying to sound corny or get on a soapbox, I sit here as an average football guy and it's hard to think about anything expect what is happening in New Orleans and the surrounding areas. It seems hard to get excited about football when you see thousands displaced and their homes lost. It's not my forum to spout off about this tragedy, but it's a sad situation and it puts football and everything else into perspective. See you next week.

Archived