Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Did Owens misinterpret McNabb? As the Eagles Turn...

tr1

Did Owens misinterpret McNabb?

By REUBEN FRANK

phillyBurbs.com

http://www.phillyburbs.com/pb-dyn/news/99-08312005-534821.html

PHILADELPHIA - Donovan McNabb believes he can pinpoint the quote: "I don't need to talk to him."

This was back up at Bethlehem, the day after Terrell Owens went on national TV and blasted McNabb, saying he didn't think he could play any longer with the Eagles quarterback.

McNabb was asked if he needed to sit down with Owens and talk to him about their issues.

His response was simple and clear: "I don't need to talk to him."

OK, just one thing.

McNabb never meant he doesn't need to speak to the record-setting wide receiver in the huddle or on the sidelines or in meetings.

He was just answering a question. He was saying he didn't think there was a reason for the Eagles' two offensive stars to sit down and have a heart-to-heart meeting to try and sort out their differences.

McNabb looks back at that now and believes Owens misinterpreted what he said that blistering hot morning at Lehigh University.

"I said there's really no reason to talk," McNabb recalled Tuesday. "I think what he read or heard is, 'I don't want to talk to him, period.' "

Maybe that's how it began. But it still hasn't ended.

The regular season keeps getting closer, and the situation remains the same.

McNabb said Tuesday he remains optimistic things will get better but acknowledged that his relationship with Owens has not improved since Owens returned to the team two weeks ago.

They still aren't talking.

"Not right now," McNabb said wistfully. "But it's still early."

McNabb said the two didn't communicate on the sidelines or in the huddle Saturday night, when they hooked up on five completions for 131 yards and a 64-yard touchdown in less than a half in a preseason game against the Bengals at the Linc.

They haven't spoken at practice.

Or in meetings. Or film study. Or in the locker room. Or the weight room. Or the training room.

Maybe in a preseason game against the Bengals McNabb and Owens can get away with ignoring each other.

But what happens when the games mean something and the defense has game-planned for Owens and McNabb and it's third-and-long late in the fourth quarter and the Eagles are down by three?

Click Here!

"We've got to talk on the field," McNabb said. "It's got to happen soon, and I think it's going to happen soon. Because he's going to see a lot out there, double coverage, and I'm going to see it and he's going to have input that he can. For instance, beat the safety in double coverage in a particular route or whatever.

"It's going to come about. But if we have to keep going through [receiver coach David] Culley? Hey, I'm going to go through every channel I can to make sure we're on the same page. If I need to go through the other receivers, that's exactly what I'll do."

Owens hasn't spoken to the media since his Aug. 11 appearances on three ESPN shows, so it's difficult to know what he thinks.

The Eagles open the regular season against the Falcons in Atlanta in just 12 days. McNabb and Owens have less than two weeks to work this out.

If it needs working out.

"It's going to get better," McNabb said. "I'm really looking at it getting better this year."

But even if they are able to co-exist and play football at a high level, this won't go away.

What happens when McNabb throws to Greg Lewis when Owens thinks he was open? What happens when Owens only has three receptions for 43 yards against the Redskins? What happens when Owens faces the TV cameras after a disappointing loss?

"There's obviously going to be some times where people are going to get nervous," McNabb said. " 'Well, he only had four catches, how do you feel about it.' And then, 'What's he going to say.'

"But my most important thing is just winning. If he gets four catches, 10 catches, eight catches, 11 catches - whatever. Or Greg gets seven catches or nine catches, it's all about winning.

"My job is to know what I'm seeing, be able to recognize blitzes that are coming, know what coverage they're in and throw it to the open guy."

Can they make this work?

"I hope so."

Archived