Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN Insider: NFL with John Clayton

bubba9497

NFL with John Clayton

http://proxy.espn.go.com/chat/chatESPN?event_id=9090

John Clayton: Welcome. Good to be with you for this chat. Interesting time with the cuts coming down today. Peter Warrick is officially out in Cincy. Let's chat.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Homer, NY: Is the Ravens' defense actually better this year, or is it the ESPN hype machine at work? Hard to believe they could be better than last year

John Clayton: It's not hype. It's talent. This is a talented defense and it is healthy. It is deeper with the addition of Peter Warrick. Imagine if it got Corey Simon, which was and is a possibility. It's not hype.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mike (Harrisburg): Who breaks out: Carr, Leftwich or Harrington?

John Clayton: All three may be held back. Carr will be in more of a run offense this year. Leftwich still might be a year away from being a scoring machine. Harrington has the best chance because of the talent but you saw him stubb his toe last night. I like Carr, Leftwich and harrington in that order.

Jeff, cleveland, OH: What is the deal with all the Vikings RB injuries? Do you think rookie Ciatrick Fason will have a chnce to getsome starts?

John Clayton: Just bad luck. These are minor injuries. The good news is that they have a lot of backs. I really like Moore, and it's not out of the question that they all could be healhty by week two.

Wiz, Astoria: Muhsin Muhammed? Last year an aberration? He's had other good seasons.

John Clayton: Muhammad is good. He will be good for the Bears but his production will drop because they will run the ball more with a rookie quarterback. If you watch him in practice and in games, you can see that he's a good player. It was a tough blow by the Panthers to lose him.

Josh (Pittsburgh): John, do you see Willie Parker as an adequate short-term replacement at running back for the Steelers?

John Clayton: Parker is adequate. He's a tough, fast little runner. They need Bettis and Staley to pounc the ball, but Parker is the best change of pace back they've had since Amos Z. He'll get them through the opener and I think Bettis will be back for Week Two.

Dan (NH): Do you know the NFL's plan for Sept 18th, Giants at Saints. New Orleans cant possibly be ready for a football game in 19 days.

John Clayton: Dan,

It could be a push, but the early word is that the Saints may be able to play that home game. A lot depends on the cleanup and power issues around town. Listen, a hole in the roof of the Superdome is minor compared to all the other problems around New Orleans. They can play with a hole in the roof, but the town is the bigger worry.

Bill (Charlotte): Tell me something about the Panthers John.

John Clayton: The Panthers are one of the four best teams in the NFC. They have great running, great defense and great coaching. They have a perfect formula to win as long as they stay healthy. They weren't healthy last year during the first half of the season. It will be a great battle against the Falcons for the division.

Billy (Miami): Who will be the qb in miami this year?

John Clayton: Gus Frerrotte. I still get the feeling they will bring in Tim Couch as an option sometime in the next couple of weeks, but don't expect him to play _ if they sign him _ until late in the season. I don't get great vibes about the way they feel about A.J. Feeley.

Fred (Austin, TX): Who should I start Kurt Warner or Kerry Collins?

John Clayton: Warner might have more wins. Collins will throw more touchdowns. I think Collins will have a 25 to 30 touchdown pass season. Still, both are good quarterbacks and deserve a looksee.

Tom (Maine): Will the Titans finish in second place this year?

John Clayton: The Titans are young, and Jeff Fisher is a great coach. They could surprise people, but it will be hard for them to finish better than third, particularly if they get some injuries.

Chuck (Memphis): John - is Anthony Simmons still out there and would he be able to help out the Packer's defense. Diggs is still hurt and Navies was cut - seems like they're thin at LB. Thanks!

John Clayton: Anthony Simmons is sitting out the season because of his wrist injury. He will be available no earlier than late November. He wants to get ready for 2006.

JOSH (DC): Please Mr. Clayton answer a Giants question. As a Giants fan I'm salivating at the thought of a Strahan & Simon left side of the Defensive line. What is the G-men's cap situation and can this happen? Bonus question-is P. Warrick an option for the Giants at the pending disaster they call punt return? Thanks and I look forward to you making Salisbury look bad all season!!!!

John Clayton: Josh,

The Giants have a chance. He should get around $10 million in guarantees. This is pretty competitive battle for him. The Ravens wanted him and could have had him in a trade. The 49ers want him. The Seahawks want him. There are at last five or six teams in the mix. If the Giants outbid, they would get him, and that wouldn really help their defense. I don't see Warrick being a help. They have enough possession receivers.

josh (philly): John please answer a Birds question for me. What are our options other then Dorsey Levens as a suitable short yardage back??

John Clayton: The Eagles called on Ron Dayne. If the Cowboys cut Anthony Thomas, they could look at him. Levens is a last ditch hope, and they could sign him at any time.

Thomas (Austin TX): John, the cowboys have looked solid in the running attack, but Bledsoe and the recievers are looking a bit off. Is this something that will persist throughout the season, or can the offense gel?

John Clayton: Bledsoe is playing angry, which is a good thing. The problem is at right tackle. Petitti looked wobbly because of leg injury problems and everything else looked back before he got in there. It's hard for Bledsoe to have time if the right tackle gets beat and if teams blitz up the middle. They have to solve the offensive line problems before they can get the passing game in sync.

David - Orange,Ca.: Huge fan of yours - You need to be a GM - Will Merriman play and have any impact this year ?

John Clayton: Thanks, I'd rather review GMS than be a GM. It's a lot more fun in finding and discussing the info than just making the decisions. Thanks for the offer, though.

tony maryland: mr clayton yur my hero, do you think the redskins will make the playoffs

John Clayton: Tony,

I don't see it right now unless Patrick Ramsey plays better. The offense looks more potent at wide receiver even though I loved Coles and Gardner. There is more YAC (Yards after the catch),. But Ramsey is making too many bad decisions, and that's a worry that will hold back the offense.

Steve NY: What's your take on John Abraham's holdout, it doesn't make sense to me. He wanted a long term contract, but the league rules say a team can't negotiate until the franchise offer is signed. So what was the point of holding out. He only hurt his own chances of having a strong season without injury which would have easily gotten him a long term deal.

John Clayton: There were no discussions about a long-term deal during the offseason. Abraham knows he has to have a good season to get the big dollars, and I think he will. He takes a lot of unnecessary criticism. He had an eight-week knee injury last year and people were ripping him for not coming back quickly. Except for nose tackle, the Jets have one great DL.

Woody (Sacramento): How does someone (me) find out the available cap room each team has? You mentioned about 5 teams in the hunt for Simon, but who can afford him?

John Clayton: Woody,

Wait until Wednesday or Thursday. I'll give a cap update. The cap is changing too much now to keep up with because of the cuts. But I'm monitoriing it.

Patrick (Houston, Texas): It seems to Houston fans that the Texans need a compliment to Andre Johnson. Do you think Warrick could fit that mold?

John Clayton: Warrick may be a better fit on Baltimore than Houston. Don't see it as being the right option for them.

Allen - NY, NY: John, What is the reciever situation for the Vikes? Who is gonna be the #2?

John Clayton: Love the Vikings receivers. I think Burleson will have a Chad Johnson like season. Travis Taylor is a big target and Culpepper loves him. They have great tight end production and one of the game's best quarterbacks.

Ryan: John how many TD's do you think Kevin Jones will get this season?

John Clayton: I think he could get 1,800 yards and 10 touchdowns. Remember, he's going to have to share the touchdowns with the receivers and tight ends. Plus, I'm not convinced this will be a three touchdown a game team unless Harrington plays better.

Jack (Charlotte): you guys never talk about West Coast teams... No mention of Oakland, San Diego, Denver, etc. Whats up with that John?

John Clayton: Jack,

You just have to ask. The Raiders are better on offense and not much better on defense. That's seven wins. The Chargers are the slight favorite in the division, but their tough schedule makes it difficult to win more than 10 or 11. The Chiefs are better on defense, Mike Shanahan finds a way to win 10 but they aren't good enough to go deep in the playoffs. SF not good. Seattle is an eight or nine win team.

Nick - Baltimore, MD: Is this year the year Boller puts up decent numbers and proves Billick right? What do you think Boller is missing?

John Clayton: Nope. He needs another year and people are losing their patience.

Ricky (Knoxville): I guess I should have posted something asking about TO...

John Clayton: Don't want too much to get to TO's head. It's better to watch him play than do situps.

John Clayton: Do

Dave, Philadelphia: Any chance Jim Bates revives Green Bay's defense? I don't have high hopes...give me some hope John!

John Clayton: Bates is great. The talent on defense isn't great. It oculd be a long year for the Packers D. The Bills shredded them in the practices and pre-season game. But,, given time, Bates will make it work.

Richard, PA: John- what are the Eagles thinking in terms of WR help? TO's volotile, Lewis unproven, Pinkston hurt...can they bring in Warrick? Is anyone else on their radar??

John Clayton: I think they need to look at Peter Warrick or Peerless Price, They got outbid on Andre Davis, but they may get somebody better.

John Clayton:

Dillon (San Francisco): How man years before the 49ers have a chance at the playoffs man??

John Clayton: three years. Mike Nolan is a good coach and he has a good staff. In time, Alex SMith will be the real deal.

NJ (FL): Do you see the Colts getting over the Pats this year?

John Clayton: Yes. Particularly if the playoff game between the two is in Indy.

Kenny (New Orleans): Prof.: Do you think the Saints will have a home game this season?

John Clayton: They could play sept. 18, but the electricity issue may force them to go to Baton Rouge or someplace else.

Dave, Bourbon St: John, soaking wet here in the Big Easy, do you think Davenport takes over for Ahman this season? Green has looked bad. Does the pAck move him?

John Clayton: No way. Davenport is good, but Green is still one of the most talented backs in the league. I think he will gain at least 1,400 this year. The Packs as a whole can't be as bad as they have played, though.

Robert (Palm Bay, Florida): John, Why do you disrespect the Broncos constantly?

John Clayton: Robert, How is predicting 10 wins disrepect. Shanahan makes the best out of his talent. They just don't have enough talent to go deep in the playoffs. Cheer up big guy.

Stan (Glen Bunie, MD): If Pitt has a decent season this year, will another NFL team come calling for Dave Wandstadt?

John Clayton: I think Pitt will have a good year, but no, i think Dave is locked into Pitt for the remainder of his contract.

Tim (St.Paul, MN): Will Daunte Culpepper throw more than 2 incompletions in a game this year?

John Clayton: I think he will have eight. but he'll complete about 66 percent of his passes. The guy is awesome.

John Medley (roxboro n.c.): think the cowboys are interested in maurice clarett and/or peter warrick?

John Clayton: I think the Cowboys could look for Clarett as a practice squad player, but they four backs better than him on the current roster _ Jones, Barber, Thomas and Thompson, the undrafted rookie

paul in philly: Who do you see as the eagles biggest threats in the NFC? To me it is the Panthers, i don't fear the falcons at this point.

John Clayton: Minnesota, Carolina, St. Louis and Atlanta. Those are the four main threats.

Daniel (Greenville, NC): Will Vick ever throw 20 TD's in a season in his career?

John Clayton: I think he will throw 20 in 2006 or 2007, not 2005. He's too good not to throw 20 at some point.

Shawn, Cincinnati: How serious do you think the injury to Safty Kim Herring is, and who do you think the Bengals will pick up for help at saftey??

John Clayton: he could be out all season. The Bengals are deperate for a strong safety. They will be watching the waivers.

cam, bloomington: John what do you think of the Dallas defense and Demarcus Ware?

John Clayton: Next to Derrick Johnson of KC, Ware is the second best rookie defender to enter the league this year and is one of the best in recent years. He's sensational.

pat - Pasadena: john, what was with the rams last night? are they for real?

John Clayton: Their defense is better and their offense is the best since 2001. I figure 10 or 11 wins.

Dave (Pitt): does parker really run a 4.23? how will he do against the Titans

John Clayton: looks like it's more 4.4 to me. he looks faster compared to the Steelers other big backs.

RK (motown): You think the lions need Corey Schlengiser back? he's a better blocker than the lions oline except for Damien Woody.

John Clayton: I think they will go more three receiver or two tight end. His role might have been reduced anyway with all the receiving talent. Plus, Kevin Jones looks great out of the one-back.

Robert - Florida: John, This is the first time i have ever heard you say anything about 10 wins for the broncos. usually you're in line with Sean Salisbury and the rest of the ESPIN morons taking your shots at Mike Shanahan and Co.

John Clayton:

Robert: John, This is the first time i have ever heard you say anything about 10 wins for the broncos. usually you're in line with Sean Salisbury and the rest of the ESPIN morons taking your shots at Mike Shanahan and Co.

John Clayton: Robert, you haven't been listening. I've been saying 10 wins for Shanahan for three years. I say it again. Sean always goes a different direction, which is why we argue.

Kevin (Hammonton): Are my Giants a playoff team?

John Clayton: In a year. Getting Corey Simons, though, could speed up the process.

Hector AZ; BOAB: John, How long have you covered football and what is your history with football?

John Clayton: I've covered for 33 years. I started when I was two. Just joking. I started when I was 17.

Deege (Champaign): What are Jon Gruden's plans for Cadillac Williams in the T.B. offense?

John Clayton: Cadallac will be the workhorse. He'll get 20 to 25 carries a game.

John Clayton:

John Clayton: Got to get back to the cuts. Thanks for questions. We'll visit later.

Archived