Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Turnovers

PREDICTOR

Yes Patrick had 2 int's. He probably should have had 3, since the first throw he made was dropped by a defensive player. But much of that is getting on the same page as your receivers.

Clearly, there was 1 int which Patrick threw right to a DB and that was because Moss(or Patten) pulled up and the ball was thrown to a spot.

He made a horrible decision with the endzone int....and that worries me, because there is no guarantee that Patrick's split second decision making will improve.

But what is really bothersome is Nemo. He fumbled this past week, and he had trouble holding on to the ball in that Carolina game also. He nearly fumbled into the endzone when the ball popped loose just as he hit the ground. Regardless of contracts or draft position, in the end, if you lose the ball you're not going to find a roster spot in the NFL.

This franchise has a history of fumbles and int's at critical moments and spots on the field...and never by the same guy. Even Stephen Davis was fumble prone when he was here and they always seemed to come at the 1 inch line or when we were driving for the winning field goal against Dallas.

Incompetence cannot be tolerated on any team. The coaching staff must do a better job of preparing its players and calling plays that fit their strengths, If someone cannot then perform, then perhaps they don't need to be on the field, at least not in a Redskins uniform.

If Patricks biggest deficiency at this point is his decision making, then perhaps 3 step drops and throws or 5 step drops and throws would be more approprate than having him scan the field for the opportunity of his choice.

I am very tolerant of the learning curve for young Patrick and his new receivers considering that Patrick is in year number 2 and Moss and Patton are in year number 1. However, fumbles are the one area that is more easily corrected, and its also the area that can destroy a running based team. Lets cut out the fumbling or cut out the guys who are doing it. The same with dropped passes.

Yes Patrick had 2 int's. He probably should have had 3, since the first throw he made was dropped by a defensive player. But much of that is getting on the same page as your receivers.

Clearly, there was 1 int which Patrick threw right to a DB and that was because Moss(or Patten) pulled up and the ball was thrown to a spot.

He made a horrible decision with the endzone int....and that worries me, because there is no guarantee that Patrick's split second decision making will improve.

But what is really bothersome is Nemo. He fumbled this past week, and he had trouble holding on to the ball in that Carolina game also. He nearly fumbled into the endzone when the ball popped loose just as he hit the ground. Regardless of contracts or draft position, in the end, if you lose the ball you're not going to find a roster spot in the NFL.

This franchise has a history of fumbles and int's at critical moments and spots on the field...and never by the same guy. Even Stephen Davis was fumble prone when he was here and they always seemed to come at the 1 inch line or when we were driving for the winning field goal against Dallas.

Incompetence cannot be tolerated on any team. The coaching staff must do a better job of preparing its players and calling plays that fit their strengths, If someone cannot then perform, then perhaps they don't need to be on the field, at least not in a Redskins uniform.

If Patricks biggest deficiency at this point is his decision making, then perhaps 3 step drops and throws or 5 step drops and throws would be more approprate than

I am very tolerant of the learning curve for young Patrick and his new receivers considering that Patrick is in year number 2 and Moss and Patton are in year number 1. However, fumbles are the one area that is more easily corrected, and its also the area that can destroy a running based team. Lets cut out the fumbling or cut out the guys who are doing it. The same with dropped passes.

If Nemo fumbles this week, Rock gets the job.

If Nemo fumbles this week, Rock gets the job.

I think they both stick, but Rock gets the nod as the third back. They'll probably let Nemo play special teams or deactivate him while he works on holding onto the ball. I think he's done enough to stick around at least in that capacity.

I don't think we can blame the turnovers on Gibbs. He harps about not turning it over as much as any coach in the league.

Nobody is blaming Gibbs. But he ultimately will be judged on whether he puts togehter a fumbling team or a ball control team...and so with that he must make the decisions who can stay and who must go. If somebody is fumbling prone, as I said, they won't be around very long.

Also as I said, if Patrick is weak at reading defenses and scanning the field under pressure, why not 3 step drop and throw a slant or 5 step drop and throw an out or 7 step drop and throw a deep ball. Just throw the ball and don't read the defense. If the receiver is covered you just throw it over his head or at his feet and you live to fight another day....but you don't sit in the pocket, pat the ball, dance with pitter patter feet, and then scramble a little bit and finally make an off balance throw or interception due to bad judgment.

Coach Gibbs can help Patrick a great deal by simply allowing him to focus on the one receiver with each throw....then if the receivers is not open it becomes obvious that the receivers cannot get open. But I think Gibbs could simplify Patricks life a great deal with 3 step drop and throw or 5 step drop and throw. In that way Gibbs is responsible for what is going on. Instead of asking Patrick to be Johnny Unitas or Joe Montana overnight, reading the whole field instatnly, let him develop and see the field over time while eliminating possible errors by cutting down on his responsibilty.

Nemo has the size for 3rd and short, especially at the goalline that Rock doesn't to increase our percentages of sucess(remember the Dallas game?). They both make it.

The one thing that Rock Cartright is NOT...is a playmaker....a difference maker. He will never win the game for you running ball or catch that 40 yard TD pass or whatever. He is a marginal offensive player who tries very hard. And through his effort he might make the special teams, but even that is a maybe. He is on the bubble because Rock has not been, is not, and never will be a big back who can help this team on the 2 or 3 yard line. Nemo is. If Nemo overcomes his fumbling....then Nemo has the job. The man is purely hard to stop for 1 yard. Make that impossible! But he better hold on to the ball. Hear that Nemo?

Archived