Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What about groom?

Ignatius J.

At some point does it make sense to go with youth. I'm willing to acknowledge that tupa may be the better punter right now, but do you ever think that it might be worth it to just lock someone up for the next ten years to simply say: "this is our guy."

I mean the man can clearly punt.

Actually, my wife mentioned this to me. I stated that our regular punter had pulled up lame in warmups. She said "Well this guy looks pretty good." I agreed, although his touch inside the 20 didn't look that great. She asked why the other guy was better and the only answer I could come up with was that Tupa used to be a QB, so he is better on fakes and holding. Granted, he had a Pro Bowl-caliber year in 2004, but we gave him enough practice!

I'm beginning to think we might want to make a change. Groom was awesome in college. He has youth and a lower cap number. Thrash can hold on kicks, although Hall might not like it. The thought of Tupa pulling up lame in warmups and Hall having to punt or Groom going elsewhere and leading the league is kind of scary.

Granted, its not as sexy a competition as the one for QB, but still something worth considering. Tupa isn't going to be here forever and with Groom we might have secured our punter for the next 10 years.

Archived