Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

nfl.com scrimmage report

Ravens top Redskins in scrimmage

NFL.com wire reports

BALTIMORE (Aug. 6, 2005) -- The Baltimore Ravens ' revamped offense showed more improvement than the Washington Redskins ' upgraded attack during a scrimmage between the neighboring rivals Aug. 6.

Neither starting quarterback produced a touchdown, but Kyle Boller got the Ravens a field goal before Patrick Ramsey was sacked four times during his two drives.

"We still have a long ways to go," Boller said, "but it was good to get the momentum of taking that first drive down there and getting points on the board."

Baltimore's second unit got a field goal and a 32-yard touchdown pass from Anthony Wright to Patrick Johnson. Washington's second team did very little: Mark Brunell threw an interception and failed to move into field goal range.

Ravens coach Brian Billick was delighted with the performance of his top two quarterbacks.

"Both seemed controlled and poised," he said. "Kyle seemed in command."

The scrimmage drew a crowd of 35,517, most of whom paid up to $12 to enter the Ravens' home stadium.

A year ago, the Redskins ranked 29th in passing yardage and Baltimore finished 31st. Both expect things to be different this year.

Baltimore made Jim Fassel offensive coordinator to spice up a run-oriented attack and signed free-agent wide receiver Derrick Mason, who last year caught 96 passes with Tennessee. The Redskins, meanwhile, added wide receivers David Patten and Santana Moss to an offense that coach Joe Gibbs hopes will be more inventive in 2005.

It didn't look that way during the scrimmage.

After the Ravens got a 38-yard field goal from Matt Stover, Ramsey went 5-for-8 but failed to move the team, mainly because Deion Sanders had two sacks and Ray Lewis and Terrell Suggs had one apiece.

"Pass protection didn't look good, and we looked sluggish," Gibbs said. "Anytime you don't do well it's a concern, but it is the first time out and we had a lot of people in there."

Tackling the quarterback was not allowed, but Sanders got a kick out of tagging Ramsey before he could make a throw, one benefit of playing in the 46 scheme of new defensive coordinator Rex Ryan.

"I've never been in a position where I blitzed on occasion, but now I can drop into coverage or blitz," Sanders said.

Suggs, the Ravens' primary pass rusher, joked, "My job is definitely threatened. I've got to go back to the drawing board."

Baltimore's second possession, which featured the second-string units, included a 44-yard completion from Wright to Clarence Moore.

Afterward, Gibbs was left wondering what more he can do to improve his lackluster offense.

"Offensively, I think we were sluggish there at first, and I'm sure Patrick will say the same thing," he said. "So we'll just take that as a lot of work to do on offense when we get back at it."

Said Ramsey: "I think I missed some throws early that were pretty routine. After that, we did a little bit better."

Lewis intercepted a Ramsey pass during 7-on-7 drills, drawing huge cheers. Moments later, Boller tossed a long touchdown pass to Mason.

There were no serious injuries in the scrimmage. Redskins wide receiver Taylor Jacobs sprained his left toe and will have an MRI on Sunday, Washington cornerback Shawn Springs tweaked a hamstring and Ravens defensive back Dale Carter bruised his right quad.

Washington played without linebacker LaVar Arrington, who is still recovering from offseason knee surgery. The Redskins were also without defensive tackles Cornelius Griffin (shoulder strain) and Brandon Noble (knee), cornerback Walt Harris (pulled quad) and their top draft pick, cornerback Carlos Rogers (ankle sprain). Also, defensive end Renaldo Wynn was excused because his father-in-law died Friday.

Baltimore was without running back Jamal Lewis, who is expected to report Sunday or Monday after completing a stay in an Atlanta halfway house. The Ravens also played without defensive tackle Kelly Gregg (shoulder), tight end Todd Heap (shoulder, ankle) and their No. 1 draft pick, wide receiver Mark Clayton, who watched from the sideline after signing a five-year, $8.2 million contract 2½ hours before the scrimmage began.

Originally posted by newarkredskinsfan

Ravens top Redskins in scrimmage

NFL.com wire reports

BALTIMORE (Aug. 6, 2005) -- his top two quarterbacks.

"Pass protection didn't look good, and we looked sluggish," Gibbs said. "Anytime you don't do well it's a concern, but it is the first time out and we had a lot of people in there."

Tackling the quarterback was not allowed, but Sanders got a kick out of tagging Ramsey before he could make a throw, one benefit of playing in the 46 scheme of new defensive coordinator Rex Ryan.

"I've never been in a position where I blitzed on occasion, but now I can drop into coverage or blitz," Sanders said.

Maybe they need to look at Bubba's picture!

;)

Blondie

Archived