Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Need help with electric work for home

jbooma

We tried to get our new over the range microwave installed today but there is an issue with the electrical wires. The installer said since the old unit was over 23 years it was originally hard wired and did not have its own dedicated line. The new VA rules is all ORM's need to have its own line.

For those that know about kitchen work and electric work, what type of rough guess would you say this would cost??

I do know that to install a hard wire it would have to be attached to the circuit box (i think) and in this process would have to tear out some dry wall, and then put new drywall in.

Any help or advice I do appreciate.

You shouldn't have to tare out any drywall. That what a fish tape is for. You use it to snake wires through a wall from above or below. I'm assuming that the old ORM doesn't have it's own breaker in the box, and is on another circut in the kitchen.

Hard wired normally means that there is no receptical (outlet) to plug directly into, and the wires come from the wall directly to the unit. As long as there's room in your breaker box to add additional breakers, the job isn't too bad to have done.

Originally posted by Pete

You shouldn't have to tare out any drywall. That what a fish tape is for. You use it to snake wires through a wall from above or below. I'm assuming that the old ORM doesn't have it's own breaker in the box, and is on another circut in the kitchen.

Hard wired normally means that there is no receptical (outlet) to plug directly into, and the wires come from the wall directly to the unit. As long as there's room in your breaker box to add additional breakers, the job isn't too bad to have done.

You are correct about the ORM, and there is room in the unit.

Originally posted by Pete

Bummer. It's a bit more involved when you have to replace the breaker box.

Oh I meant there is room in the box for another breaker, you are talking about the circuit breaker box in the basement correct??

Yup........and being it's in the basement makes it that much easier. They can put a receptical box in the drywall where the old wires come out. Snake down to the basement, and run it into the box. do the hook up in the box with a new breaker for it, and your set for the install of the ORM.

No clue on what contractors cost up by you. Many know the homes in an area, and don't even have to come out to estimate. Get a few from area contractors. If the old ORM is out already, I can't see it taking more then 2 hours. I did it in my house up north myself, and it took me about 3.

Archived