Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Portis calls for the "gut" play?

smartestmaninamerica

I read that Portis yelled at Gibbs on the sidelines that if we want to win we needed to run "gut" and "power", apparently Portis' favorite plays.

Maybe I've been missing it (wouldn't be the first time), but doesn't that "gut" play usually get like maybe 1 yard if we are lucky? I thought its only purpose was to keep the defense honest and open up the outside.

I love Portis, but I don't think running "gut" is gonna win us too many games. Like I said, it is nice in that it sets up other things, but on it's own, it leaves us looking at 3rd and 8 too often.

Gibbs alluded to it in post game press conference. Portis asks for the "gut" and "chip" plays. Gibbs was talking about how tough and competitive Portis was.

The plays are necessary to keep the defense honest... :2cents:

I agree that the play is necessary to keep the defense honest. That being said, I don't understand when we call it on 2nd and 16 and we desperately need to get into FG position to win the game.

He, on the field, obviously saw something different to what we, in the stands at best/watching at home on the couch, didnt see. Were his calls correct and successful, youve not explained that in your first post. (I have not had chance to watch or listen to the game yet).

Archived