Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins Public Relations: Reed Doughty to Serve as Honorary Chairman of the 2nd Annual Prince George's County Kidney Walk

Mark The Homer

Washington Redskins Player Reed Doughty to Serve as Honorary Chairman of the 2nd Annual Prince George’s County Kidney Walk

Teammate Lorenzo Alexander Will Also Participate in April 25 Fundraiser

Hyattsville, MD -- Washington Redskins Safety Reed Doughty will serve as Honorary Chairman and Linebacker Lorenzo Alexander will participate in the Ronald D. Paul Companies Kidney Walk hosted by the National Kidney Foundation Serving the National Capital Area on Sunday, April 25 at the Mall at Prince Georges. The Kidney Walk is a 5K pledge-based event designed to raise awareness and funds to support the Foundation’s programs and services.

More than 26 million Americans – one in nine – have chronic kidney disease (CKD). The Washington, DC area leads the nation in the prevalence of kidney disease, with more than 700,000 affected, nearly 6,000 on dialysis, and 1,600 waiting for kidney transplants. Of the 6,000 local dialysis patients, one-third are residents of Prince George’s County. Diabetes and high blood pressure – the leading causes of kidney disease – are extremely high in Prince George’s County accounting for the majority of new kidney patients.

Because kidney disease is such a serious epidemic in the DC area, the Washington Redskins are committed to partnering with the National Kidney Foundation to raise awareness about risk factors and early detection. Doughty has volunteered to help spread the message through a series of PSAs currently running on Redskins Broadcast Network programs as well and cable and network television. In addition to partnering in several special events, such as the NBC4 Health & Fitness Expo, World Kidney Day and the Kidney Walk, the Redskins and the National Kidney Foundation have teamed up with Amgen in the Redskins Charity Challenge Program. Fans can access the Charity Challenge page from the Redskins homepage and click on the National Kidney Foundation logo to donate.

Both Doughty and Alexander have a personal connection to the cause. Doughty’s son was born with kidney failure, endured 10 months of dialysis, and two years ago, at the age of 19 months, received a transplant with a kidney donated by his mother.

According to Doughty, “My son’s kidney failure was not preventable, but for many Washington area residents it is. That’s why I’m on a mission to educate people about risk factors and early detection of kidney disease.”

Alexander was first introduced to the National Kidney Foundation in January 2010 when he joined the celebration of the Foundation’s 20,000th person screened through its community-based free screening programs. Alexander has a history of diabetes in his family, including an uncle who is on dialysis because of kidney failure.

According to Alexander, “My uncle is like a father to me and it is hard to watch him go through his dialysis treatments. But, he’s always been there for me and now by joining with the NKF, I can help others and spread the word about kidney disease. I hope everyone will grab their sneakers and join us at the Kidney Walk on Sunday, April 25.”

The Kidney Walk, which is expected to raise more than $50,000, offers a family friendly environment with a Kids Corner, a wellness area, and various pre- and post-Walk activities.

The National Kidney Foundation, Inc. is the major voluntary health organization dedicated to preventing kidney disease, improving the health and well-being of individuals and families affected by kidney disease, and increasing the availability of all organs for transplantation.

I hope this event is HUGELY successful. Both Reed and Zo seem to be very good human beings, in addition to their prowess on the field.

I wish the very best for Reed and his family; for his son's continued health, and rich blessings upon them all.

I'm just vying for VP of the Reed Doughty fan club is all. :pfft:

:ols:

Kidney disease is like Chuck Norris. Scared to death of Reed Doughty. :D

Seriously though, how can you not love the guy? He's overcome his own challenges with his hearing. He's endured the biggest worry a human being can have -- major concerns over the health and future of his child. He works his everloving ass off everyday, as a player and a man, and he still manages to fly under the radar and not blow his own horn.

He might not be the best player ever to wear burgundy and gold (though he IS the best safety on the roster), but there are few guys I've been more proud to have on this team.

Archived