Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Could All This Just Be High-Stakes Posturing?

Mark The Homer

Don't see a thread title on this, and if this is mentioned in one of the thirty-six new threads that have emerged in the past twelve hours, I apologize.

But is it possible that Gregg Williams will still end up being the new HC?

Consider the comments by Marvin Demoff, GW's agent, printed in this morning's Post.

After his fourth interview Jan. 15, Williams's uncertainty grew when he heard nothing from Snyder and Cerrato while other candidates were being brought in for interviews. Williams intended to withdraw from the process Tuesday, Demoff said. But Gibbs urged Williams to remain in the race during conversations on Thursday and Friday, Demoff said. After the reports Friday, Williams strongly considered withdrawing later that night and into yesterday morning, but did not. He spoke to several players and assistants before meeting with Snyder at his office at Redskins Park for a 15-minute conversation in the afternoon.

Shortly after the meeting, the team released a statement announcing his departure.

"While Gregg is under contract to the Redskins for the 2008 football season, the Redskins have received and granted requests to other teams to talk to Gregg, and told him he is free to talk to any team he wants about future employment," said Williams's agent, Marvin Demoff. "But at this time he remains under contract to the Redskins."

The Redskins referred to Williams and former associate head coach-offense Al Saunders as being "released," and in a statement owner Daniel Snyder thanked them.

Snyder declined to speak publicly yesterday.

Williams, who is owed about $2 million for the year remaining on his contract, declined to comment yesterday.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/01/26/AR2008012602356.html?sid=ST2008012602667

That is one way of looking at it. I take it as Williams is Harry Carsoning the Skins, "I have waited long enough, if you don't want me by now take my name off the ballot."

Although, it is probably not the case. As much as I hate to say it GW is as good as gone and its a shame, but you never know Schwartz, Fassel, Spagnolo, McDaniels or Grimm may surprise us.

Archived