Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN Insider: Ask NFL Draft Expert Mel Kiper

bubba9497

Ask NFL Draft Expert Mel Kiper

http://proxy.espn.go.com/chat/chatESPN?event_id=7442

Mel Kiper: Basic combine is concluded, some helped themselves ... some didn't. The new Top 25 board goes up today and a new first round projection will come out early next week. Let's talk combine!

Amanda (CT): Hey Mel. Haven't heard much about Dan Orlovsky's combine showing. Where does he stand now? What is the consensus on Alfred Fincher and Tyler King? Do they have a chance of going on the first day?

Mel Kiper: Well, he ran in the 4.9s, so ... His talent really shows on gameday, but he's not real mobile although I think the biggest thing that hurt him was his inaccuracy at the Senior Bowl. He's at best going to be an NFL backup, right now he's in that second day area probably between rounds 4 and 6.

cody (topeka,ks): Heard that Darren Sproles had a great workout at the combine, will that combined with his senior bowl performance push him at all in the draft?

Mel Kiper: It certainly does. He has always been fairly highly regarded. After the season he had a fourt rough grade, after the Senior Bowl he moved to the third. Now, I'd say he is sitting late second early third. He is such a strong guy and would be a great situational guy.

Bryan (Sebring, FL): Hey Mel, How did the FSU guys fare at the combine? Did Chris Rix do anything to help him get drafted in the late rounds?

Mel Kiper: No, I think Rix is still an undrafted free agent. Travis Johnson's workout is coming out, he will be an early to mid 1st round draft choice if he performs well. Alex Barron is mid-first. Bryant McFadden is late first, early second.

J.P (toronto): Will Derrick Johnson's great combine vault him into the 3rd spot with the Browns?

Mel Kiper: It's been discussed. The Browns have a lot of need areas, but I still see Derrick more between picks 6 and 12.

Zac (Utah): I've heard Thomas Davis is flying up the draft board. It seems as if most NFL franchises shy away from taking a safety high in the draft (excluding Sean Taylor). Do you see Davis being taken in the top 15, and by whom? Thank you

Mel Kiper: I'd be surprised -- remember he is an outside linebacker with a lot of teams. He's got a chance to be a later first round pick. Early to mid first -- I don't know about that. Maybe if he was a better, truer safety he'd have a better shot at going earlier.

Andy (Akron, OH): Mel, Despite Charlie Frye winning Senior Bowl MVP, displaying good 40 speed at the combine, showing great arm strength and accuracy, you continue to show his stock as dropping. Why?

Mel Kiper: His stock's not dropping in my book, Andy! He's just not as good as Alex or Aaron. The battle is for third here. Jason Campbell from Auburn right now has the edge ... and even Kyle Orton has a shot at that third spot. But Frye is right in that mix. I still think he is a second round draft choice.

Jon (South Bend): Hi Mel, how was Justin Tuck's workout at the combine and where do you see him going? And after Tuck, are there any other Domers worth noting at this point?

Mel Kiper: The only domer is Tuck, he could be a second rounder. The thing I like about him is that he was a linebacker then moved to DE. He really grew as a pass-rusher. Ryan Grant, Derrek Curry, Mike Goolsby -- those guys are all more late round types. Justin Tuck is the only domer with an early round grade.

David (Washington, DC): Hi Mel, Two quick questions - do you see Mike Williams or Braylon Edwards around at the #9 pick - and secondly, I was very impressed with Scott Young's (BYU) combine performance - how good is this kid on the field? THanks

Mel Kiper: Edwards and Williams at 9 -- not now I don't. I think they will both be gone now but the time you get into that 9th spot. ... The trade scenarios will occur that will have them both off the board by around the 6th pick.

Mel Kiper: As for Scott Young, his upper body strength has really drum up some interest. He will get some second day consideration now.

Sanjay (New York): How much did Robert McCune help himself at the combine? Clearly he's a physical specimen, is his field performance good enough to warrant a second or third round pick?

Mel Kiper: His stock rose at the Senior Bowl. Robert was a 4.45 guy in the spring, and he ran a 4.5 at the combine. He's been doing this forever. The combine is VASTLY overrated. He's been helping himself all along, especially at the Senior Bowl pracices. You saw a lot of guys that 'did well at the combine', well, that's what they're capable of! Fabian Washington of Nebraska had the best performance of them all! It was critical that he ran well b/c he was a junior. The seniors, we already had 40 times on them. Ronnie Brown was right in line with what we already had. Cadillac was right in line with what we had. The combine is key for Juniors coming out early, there is not too much value in combine workouts for seniors.

pete (ny): With the signing of Muhammad, do you still see Chicago drafting a WR such as B. Edwards or could you see them drafting a RB such as Benson, Brown? Thanks

Mel Kiper: They could, sure, I see them drafting a WR and a RB high. They add Mushin, the could probably add another young WR. They need some help at running back as well. Either of those.

Adam (Philly): Mel, you are my hero. Do you have any info on why Adam Jones didn't work out at the combine? It seemed to me that there were some really medicore performances in the drills that could have given Pac Man the opportunity to show that he's the best corner in the draft.

Mel Kiper: IF he worked out and nailed it like Fabian Walker, it definitely would have helped him. But if he has a great invididual workout, none of this matters. Pac Man Jones for example, will work out individually. We knew how fast he was, we didn't know how tall he was, he measured 5'10 and 3/4. THAT was very important. A verified height was the most important thing for this guy! I still see him going to the Titans by the way.

John (Jets Fan): Do you see Heath Miller as an Impact pass catching TE or more of a blcoker, basically is a "Jason Witten" type, because the Jets need that bad

Mel Kiper: Right now, Heath is working through an injury situation. I think he'll be an outstanding pass catcher and I project him to the Steelers maybe late in the first round.

Jerome (Miami): Mel, How surprised would you be if the 49ers didn't select a QB with the first pick? I've heard rumblings about them being really high on Spears.

Mel Kiper: THat is awful high for Marcus Spears. IF the 9ers use the first pick overall, they take Alex or Aaron. Marcus will go in the top 10-15, but not the top 3-5. The first overall would be a big stretch.

Hinton Murphy (New York City): Mel, Do you see Shawne Merriman still being at 11 for Dallas?

Mel Kiper: Yes. I think he would be a great fit. At 270 he will have a phenomenal workout -- March 16 is his big day. His vertical and 40 I predict to be very impressive. He's make so much sense with Dallas OR 15 with Kansas City.

bob (nyc): I heard Pollack and Erasmus James hurt themselves this week. Any chance either of them drop to the Packers in the first round?

Mel Kiper: Yes, there is a pretty good chance. Matt Roth, James or Pollack all COULD end up with GB. I think Erasmus James could be gone by then, but Roth and/or Pollack could definitely still be on the board.

Chris (New Orleans): What's the word on Corey Webster? Is he a 1st rounder? I think that he would be a great fit for the Patriots (aka LSU North).

Mel Kiper: Nope, I think he's more of a second round pick. He reminds me of a Brian Kelly kind of guy who came out of USC and was drafted in the second round and then had a nice carreer. Corey will have a nice carreer and will be a great value pickup in the second round.

Brendan(Chicago: Is there an outside linebacker in the top five?

Mel Kiper: The only one that could be is Derrick Johnson from Texas. He had an excellent work out, he is a gifted athlete, if anyone, he could be in that mix although I think he'll go 6-10.

Tom (Chicago): Any word on Leinart and a possible change of mind? This would clearly impact the draft. Can we put that rumor to bed?

Mel Kiper: You can't put it to bed. If he graduates with his class he has an option again. All the concern right now is who is with the draft process, he took himself out of that, but the supplemental draft -- who knows. Matt Leinart was going to be the No 1 player in this draft in my opinion.

Rochester, NY: Hey MK, you mentioned that you think that both the stud WRs are going to be gone by pick #9. Do you think there are any wideouts besides those two worthy of the 9th pick? Is that too high for Williamson and Clayton?

Mel Kiper: Well, don't forget about Roddy White from UAB who has an even higher grade than those two. Once he is healthy with that hamstring and he is ready to workout, he will be right in that top 15 somewhere and, already, I would put him ahead of Williamson and Clayton.

Lindsey (SC ): I know Benson's supposed to be the elite back in this draft, but what seperates him from Brown and C.Williams...they all seem like solid back with subtle differences in the power and speed catagories.

Mel Kiper: I have Brown a little bit ahead of Benson b/c he's had his workout, he's already sitting in the clubhouse and his numbers will ride. Benson is just teeing off on the 18th hole. Cadillac is also in the clubhouse. If Cedric has an excellent workout, he has a chance to be the No.1 back in this draft again. All three of these guys will go in the top 10. Two may go very early. The one that slides down a little bit will present phenomenal value to somebody.

Carty (Baltimore): Mel, If the Leinhart does come out, who gets first crack at him in a supplimental? How does a supplimental draft actually work?

Mel Kiper: The supplemental is a weighted lottery. It will be up in the air again, as to where he will end up.

Phil (Cleveland): Can you compare Rodgers & Smith to the last few years of high pick QBs. Seems to me that on talent they are more mid range 1st rounders and are only considered Top pick material because of the premium on QBs and the fact that there is a lack of depth of true Top 10 talent.

Mel Kiper: Well, in terms of the projections and perceptions of a player -- if a kid has skills, you are splitting hairs. These kids both have skills. Smith is more mobile, Rodgers has a stronger arm. Each could be great QBs. Do they have the same grade as Roethlisberger or Manning -- almost. You're right, in other years, they may have been mid-rounders, but in this year's talent pool, you either trade down or you take one of those two guys.

Adam (MI): Hey Mel. If Mike Williams disappoints at his pro workout, do you see a Randy Moss like fall to the bottom of the first or will he go top 10 regardless?

Mel Kiper: No chance of him falling. He has already run a 4.56 which is excellent for his size. He is in shape, he's ready to go, I have him as the thrid highest player on my board. No chance of that happening.

Chris ((VP, Il.)): Mel, You said that Roth, Pollack, and James all hurt themselves with their 4.8 40's times. Does it matter that Roth outweighs both of these players by 15 pounds?

Mel Kiper: Roth, well, in terms of those three -- it's James, Roth, Pollack in that order. James 18, Roth 22 and Pollack at 27 in ratings. They are all in that first round range.

Cory (Shreveport, LA): Could San Francisco possibly select Mike Williams with the first pick?

Mel Kiper: If San Fran or anybody else takes Mike Williams, I certainly wouldn't have a problem with it. I think WIlliams is worthy of that spot, but the 9ers have a lot of other need areas that supercede WR. QB is their most pressing need. If they want a WR, I'd do that by trading down a little bit.

Bryan (Sebring, FL): Mel were you talking about Fabian Walker from Valdosta St? I did not know he even went to the combine. Can you comment on how he did. I always wished that he would have got a fair shake at FSU.

Mel Kiper: No, FAbian Washington, the CB from Nebraska.

AJ (Denver): Do you think the Broncos could suprise and select either Clayton or Williamson, assuming one is available, at #25?

Mel Kiper: I'd say if you look at Denver, yes, that's about where those two guys will go -- Williamson could be gone, Clayton could still be there. Williamson I have rated 16th and Clayton rated 26th.

Mel Kiper: Roddie White is rated No. 12.

Adam (MI): Hey Mel. What side of the ball do you see the Vikings taking from at #7? And do you see them taking Pacman or Poole at #18? Thanks.

Mel Kiper: Pacman will be gone in the top 6, Brodney will be mid to late first. Looking at their team right now, you could be looking at the Mike Williams with that 7 pick and at 18, you could get the kid Fabian WAshington who we were just talking about.

Brad (Rocklin, CA): Jacksonville's GM Shack Harris has said he's going to take the best available player at pick 21. Will Khalif Barnes really be the best available player left at that point? Thanks! (Didn't see any other Jags/offensive lineman questions, so I thought I'd chuck one in there)

Mel Kiper: Barnes will be in that mix, I don't know about the best available at that point. I think Jax is looking DE or Corner. Antrelle Rolle the CB from Miami has a chance to be in that mix. Erasmus James could be in the mix. Players like that are what will be around at that point.

Mel Kiper: Thanks so much for all the questions. The combine proved interesting -- even though I still say it's vastly overrated! But, I guess if you has Fabian Washington, he'll tell you otherwise! Now he's one of the most talked about players in this draft. Maybe well see some other surprises skyrocket as individual workouts shakeout. I'll see you next week, same time, same place.

The ShowGirl: Thanks Mel! OK folks, Coach Steve Lavin's up next. From one gorgeous head of hair to another! :) Stay tuned!

Archived