Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

skins/raiders super bowl on espn.

big#44

Well we played the Raiders early that year and beat them. In the Super Bowl rematch we ran alot of are same plays from that game and they knew what was coming. Its just hard to beat a team twice a year. Maybe they did still the playbook though. Raiders are thugs as it is so I wouldnt be surprised.

the Redskins won the season game 37-35 at RFK but the Raiders didn't have Marcus Allen or Cliff Branch that day. The Raiders were a better team in the Super Bowl with those players.

All season in 1983, despite the scoring records and strong run defense, the inability of the secondary to cover receivers really hurt the team in this game.

The disintegration of the Redskins secondary from the 1982 Super Bowl winner over Miami was shocking at the time.

Jeris White retired rather than accept what he decided what was too little of a pay raise offer by the club.

Tony Peters was busted in training camp for cocaine possession and intent to distribute.

Joe Lavender retired at age 34.

Those 31-30, 48-47 games the Skins played during the season where they gave up mega yards through the air were cause for concern when they finally played an elite team playing their game.

When I remember the Gibbs years, there were three memorable losses:

The 38-9 loss to the Raiders in SB XVIII, the 17-0 loss to the Giants in 1986 in the NFC title game and the 45-10 loss to the Bears in 1985.

Originally posted by Sire

This is the only football game that ever made me cry. Bad memories.

Me too. The worst part was I got excited and thought that maybe the Redskins were on the verge of coming back after they scored the touchdown. But that hope got crushed after the PAT. I was only 6 or 7 then.

ironically, special teams, a Redskins trademark, really let them down in their first Super Bowl appearances under Gibbs.

In 1982 the Skins allowed Fulton Walker to return a kick 98 yards for a Dolphins touchdown.

In 1983 the Skins allowed the Raiders to block a punt for a touchdown and then they missed an extra point as well.

Archived