Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: Can News Corp learn from NPR?

Burgold

I went with the Print title vs. the internet title because I thought it was better. I thought it was an interesting bit of insight from someone who very close to a recent media scandal.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/rupert-murdoch-juan-williams-and-the-upside-of-media-scandals/2011/07/21/gIQA9wL1TI_story.html

By Alicia Shepard, Published: July 22

Ten arrests. An imperiled prime minister. Parliament under attack. Scotland Yard mortified and England’s largest tabloid shuttered. The scandal unfolding around Rupert Murdoch’s News Corp. finds a new victim or oozes a salacious tidbit every day — facts that would clearly delight Murdoch’s British tabloids if they weren’t at the center of the story.

At Tuesday’s hearing before an enraged Parliament, Murdoch — in addition to suffering a shaving-cream-pie attack — was grilled along with his son James about the turmoil engulfing his media empire. The elder Murdoch agreed that News Corp. should look deeply into journalistic practices at all its media properties around the world, which in the United States include the Wall Street Journal, Fox News and the New York Post. It was, as he said, “the most humble day of my life.”

Yet, as emotionally, psychologically and financially painful as media scandals can be, they are ultimately good medicine for a profession that demands accountability from those it covers — but often fails to see or admit its own shortcomings.

Archived