Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

MiamiHearld: Miami Dolphins face tough calls to make on final cuts

tr1

http://www.miamiherald.com/2010/09/04/1807560/anxiety-rules-on-cutdown-day.html

BY JEFF DARLINGTON

For the past four months, Roberto Wallace and Marlon Moore have shared plenty.

Both went undrafted in April.

Both signed as wide receivers with the Dolphins.

And both began making an immediate impression on the coaching staff.

So it only seems natural that both will share something else for the next several hours -- a whole lot of anxiety.

``Oh, I'll get some sleep,'' Moore said after Thursday's preseason finale. ``It's when I'm awake that will be nerve-racking.''

By 4 p.m. Saturday, general manager Jeff Ireland must trim the roster from 74 to 53 players, as the team shifts to regular-season mode. Moore and Wallace are two of the most intriguing players on the bubble.

It is possible both could make the team, but more likely only one will.

The duo remains in a heated competition with second-year prospect Patrick Turner and underdog possibility Julius Pruitt.

That battle will be decided Saturday.

``Honestly, in my heart, I felt like I gave it the best I could, so at least my conscience will be clean when it comes to that,'' Wallace said.

``I won't be saying, `What if I'd done this, or what if I'd done that.' I gave it all I could.''

The Dolphins are unlikely to keep more than five wide receivers.

Brandon Marshall, Brian Hartline and Davone Bess are locks to make the team, leaving two spots -- at the most -- for those young prospects.

The Dolphins must choose wisely, because there is a chance the sixth wide receiver might not pass through waivers for continued development on the practice squad.

``Those guys will make it a very difficult decision,'' coach Tony Sparano said. ``That's a good problem. I think that both these kids have gone into the games and the games haven't really been big for them in these situations.''

Through the preseason finale Thursday, Moore and Wallace have given coaches reason to want to see more. They both saved their best for last.

Moore caught four passes for 31 yards and a touchdown, and Wallace had three catches for 59 yards and a touchdown.

One could easily make an argument to keep either one. Had it not been for a strong training camp from Turner, one could even make a case to keep both.

Wallace -- at 6-4, 225 pounds -- has the type of frame that Miami's coaching staff treasures.

A product of San Diego State who grew up playing soccer more than football, Wallace's full potential is still unknown.

Moore isn't nearly as big. But he is scrappy and tough. Sparano has used the word ``brave'' to describe Moore's playing style.

Both players came from smaller schools -- Wallace from San Diego State and Moore from Fresno State.

It is no wonder the competition has been so friendly, given the similarities.

``We're not trying to make it seem like we're in competition with each other -- even though we are,'' Moore said. ``We're all good friends; we all have fun together. We're not out here to divide each other. We're out here to have fun and make each other better.''

That has certainly been the case to this point. The improvement of these young players even played a role in Miami's comfort level when trading veteran wide receiver Greg Camarillo to the Vikings last week.

Camarillo's departure is partly the reason both still feel like they have a fighting chance.

The trade opened up the additional roster spot that gives Ireland the flexibility to keep two of these wide receivers rather than one.

Wallace and Moore have spoken to Bess about their situation, since Bess was an undrafted wide receiver who ended up making the roster as a rookie.

Bess' advice?

``We talked a little on Wednesday,'' Wallace said. ``He just told me, `If you don't get a phone call, you're good.' ''

Wallace and Moore will be hoping their phones stay silent for a few more hours.

Archived