Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Dignified Transfer

Burgold

Do you trust Congress?  

49 members have voted

1. 1. Do you trust Congress?

There's a really cool piece on Metro Connection today on Dover and it's not even mine. I read bits of the transcript, but haven't heard the tape yet. It's a really noice voices piece about the men and women who work at Dover and about what the process means to them.

I think it is a good piece that many should listen too.

Here's the intro:

Dignified Transfer

Overturning a ban that has been in place since 1991, a new Pentagon policy allows news organizations to photograph the homecomings of fallen service members - if families agree. For the past 18 years, military servicemen were the only witnesses to this private ceremony. At the Marine Barracks at 8th and I Streets SE in Washington, the men who perform this service share their stories with Kavitha Cardoza.

It'll head off Metro Connection today at 1:00 pm

you can listen via wamu.org or 88.5 fm in the Washington area.

I haven't done much recently, but as someone who volunteered and served in military hospitals for over four years it's a subject I care deeply about. Thankfully, most of my experiences were about recovery and supporting soldiers, marines, sailors, and their families rather than consoling them, but it carries a resonance to me that goes well beyond politics and into humanity.

Archived