Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Fantasy Football O Line Projections

jschlesi

1. Kansas City Chiefs

As the saying goes, “just because there is snow on the roof, does not mean the fire is out.” The Chiefs O-line may be getting old but they have still earned my number one ranking. Priest Holmes, Larry Johnson, does not matter. Roaf, Shields and company will open up holes and make fantasy GMs extremely happy.

2. Baltimore Ravens

Anchored by Jonathan Ogden, arguably the best offensive tackle in the game, the Ravens will not disappoint. This line has added depth in the most recent draft and still posses another strong bookend in Orlando Brown. Despite the schedule, fantasy GMs should not pass on Jamal Lewis given the fact he runs behind this mammoth o-line.

3. Minnesota Vikings

The Vikings line is gigantic. Bryant McKinnie tips the scales at 6’8, 343lbs and Mike Rosenthal slims down at 6’7. 315lbs. Then there is OG Chris Liwiensky at 6’5, 321lbs and of course, all-pro center Matt Birk, 6’4, 308lbs (Harvard Grad). Not only are they big but also they are smart. Good run blockers and decent against the pass rush. Culpepper & Bennett are well protected and well worth a draft day investment.

4. Pittsburgh Steelers

Despite the loss of RG Vincent Keydrick to division rival Baltimore Ravens, the Steelers still have the pieces in place to pave the road in the AFC North. Assuming the mix of vets and youth could improve their pass blocking ability, the Black & Gold should dominate. Fantasy GMs need to worry about Duce staying healthy, not the o-line opening holes.

5. Seattle Seahawks

Many pundits will say the Seahawks O-line could be the number one O-line in the NFL. Although there is definitely an argument for that statement with LT Walter Jones and LG Steve Hutchinson but what about the right side of the line? RT Floyd "Pork Chop" Womack is there but in my opinion, they are weak up the middle. Regardless, they still open up New York State Thruway size holes for fantasy stud RB Alexander.

6. Philadelphia Eagles

I may be going out on a limb here but come season’s end, this line could rank in the top 3. One big factor, this unit must stay healthy. Returning from the MASH 4077 is last year’s highly touted rookie OG Shawn Andrews. Combine Andrews with a healthy Jon Runyan, Tra Thomas and Hank Fraley and you have a solid o-line. Now, if only Andy Reid would run up the middle. This combo makes Westbrook a good #2 RB.

7. Denver Broncos

Ranking the Broncos # 7 is solid but quite a fall from grace. This O-line and system is use to being known for two things, producing 1500 yard-a-season RBs and not talking with media. However, not having a premier running back in the stable has really taken its toll on the front seven. The wild card this year is Tatum Bell. Can he top 1000 yards and return this unit to stardom? You make the call on draft day!

8. New York Jets

C’mon Gang Green faithful, get the fireman up on your shoulders. This o-line gives you something to cheer about. Led by crafty vets C Kevin Mawae and OG Pete Kendall, this unit should help Curtis hit another 1000-yard season. Don’t fear the loss of OT Kareem McKenzie. The former Nittany Lion was not worth his asking price.

9. Oakland Raiders

The USS Robert Gallery will lead this impressive but young unit. With all the talent at WR and RB, Collins will get the protection he needs. Opposing defenses will be spread across the field just to match-up. Gallery and Robert Sims should protect from the outside in. Go ahead and draft Lamont Jordan early!

10. Washington Redskins

Go ahead, let the hate mail begin. Believe me, I know this unit has questions but ‘if” and I mean “if” this unit could pull it together with OT’s Jansen and Samuels, OG’s Thomas & Dockery and C Rabach, RB Portis can have a huge year. If any coach can do it, Joe Gibbs can.

I think by season's end we will have passed by at least Oakland, the Jets, and Seattle on this list. I don't know about top 5, but it will be close. My personal top 5, I think, is:

1. Kansas City

2. Baltimore

3.Pittsburgh (If they can regroup from losing Oliver Ross)

4. Denver (not on talent, but on performance)

5. Philadelphia (Shawn Andrews will be a beast)

I think we might just be right after Philly. I also think, as much as I hate to say it, that Dallas deserves some top 10 consideration.

A few other observations: I thought it was funny how the Steelers lost "Vincent Keydrick" to the Ravens. Dyslexia, perhaps...Also, I think the Vikings are overrated in this list; their O-Line is huge, but I'm not impressed with any of them aside from Birk and "Mount" McKinnie. I think they, along with the rest of the Vikings offense are a bit overrated due to the "Moss effect"...Finally, we need to sign Floyd "Pork Chop" Womack immediately...

Archived