Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

So I had direct tv installed and

RyansRangers

After the guy installed it he says well you wont be able to get local channels until you cut down the tree in the front yard. He said cut it at 250 deg at 20deg elevation........ I was like WTF.. I asked how about Sunday Ticket he said if you want that the tree has to come down......... WTF anyone else have this problem.... I get all the channels crytal clear but local channels show up black....

Yea, had that problem when I moved to the home I'm in now. Only problem was the tree that needed to come down was in my neighbor's yard. So I had to go with a tripod on top of my roof which raised the dish by about 6 feet (and now looks like a lightining rod sitting on top of my son'd bedroom).

The satellite for local channels is lower in the sky, but I had no problems with the others. I wouldn't think the tree has to come down for Sunday Ticket though???

You could also e-mail NBC,ABC,CBS and explain the issue and they can grant you a waiver and give you access to these channels in other cities. For example, with you being from CT you can get the NY editions of these channels. I did that for a while before getting the tripod (which incidentally cost $80).

Originally posted by SkinsNut73

Yea, had that problem when I moved to the home I'm in now. Only problem was the tree that needed to come down was in my neighbor's yard. So I had to go with a tripod on top of my roof which raised the dish by about 6 feet (and now looks like a lightining rod sitting on top of my son'd bedroom).

The satellite for local channels is lower in the sky, but I had no problems with the others. I wouldn't think the tree has to come down for Sunday Ticket though???

You could also e-mail NBC,ABC,CBS and explain the issue and they can grant you a waiver and give you access to these channels in other cities. For example, with you being from CT you can get the NY editions of these channels. I did that for a while before getting the tripod (which incidentally cost $80).

Thanks for the info... Why did you end up getting the tripod? over the local East

Originally posted by TheDoyler23

That seems weird. There's a giant tree by my dish, but I guess the installer knows more than me. The locan channels were turned on over the phone as well when I signed up for a certain package. You could call the company perhaps?

I thought it was weird too because I ordered the premium package so I thought I would get everything..

Originally posted by RyansRangers

Thanks for the info... Why did you end up getting the tripod? over the local East

Yes. I soooo missed seeing Dr. Mel and Geoff Fox give the local weather forecasts (:puke: ) that I went out and got the tripod. That's all it was really...just wanted local news.

Our cable company used to let us get just the local channels (12 in all) for $10 a month. So I did that for a while...then they raised that to $40 a month and that's when I switched.

Yes. I soooo missed seeing Dr. Mel and Geoff Fox give the local weather forecasts (:puke: ) that I went out and got the tripod. That's all it was really...just wanted local news.

Our cable company used to let us get just the local channels (12 in all) for $10 a month. So I did that for a while...then they raised that to $40 a month and that's when I switched.

Oh you call them weatherman I just call them paid liars

Originally posted by Leonard Washington

man that sucks...i guess you wished they woulda told you that before they hooked everything up. i guess that won't stop them from charging your for the channel's you can't get.

I know I was hoping he would have told me prior to all the wiring... but I will still get charged for them and I have to pay $200 to take the tree down I guess. I am just hoping that taking that tree down does it

Originally posted by TheDoyler23

That seems weird. There's a giant tree by my dish, but I guess the installer knows more than me. The locan channels were turned on over the phone as well when I signed up for a certain package. You could call the company perhaps?

This is actually a good idea to give a call back. DirecTV subcontracts their installation and you could have been stuck with a schmuck. It happened to me one time (in a different house)...turns out the dude was just to lazy to go up on the roof and kept insisting the best spot for the dish was on the side of the house.

I had to have them come out to service something and a different guy came. This guy said "why the hell did you install it here. You'd be much better off with it on the roof". So he moved it up there for me and it worked great.

This is actually a good idea to give a call back. DirecTV subcontracts their installation and you could have been stuck with a schmuck. It happened to me one time (in a different house)...turns out the dude was just to lazy to go up on the roof and kept insisting the best spot for the dish was on the side of the house.

I had to have them come out to service something and a different guy came. This guy said "why the hell did you install it here. You'd be much better off with it on the roof". So he moved it up there for me and it worked great.

actually thats a good Idea.. I asked him if he moved it to the other side of the house if it would be better and he said nah..... thanks for that.. I will call

Archived