Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Quote from Gibbs Book Fourth and One

RyansRangers

I was reading Joe Gibbs autobiography Fourth and One and read something that is kinda interesting/funny because of peoples perception of gibbs.

"somewhere people who dont know me get the idea tha i'm sort of and intellectual type. Maybe its the glasses. Maybe its because I am comfortable in front of the press. In my immodest moments I'll even admit that maybe I have some pretty good football strategy. But dont put me in the same category as the widely-read professorial types. I'm bascially a physical guy,not a reader. I read my bible and matthew henry commentary everyday, but I', not one of those who reads much else. I like competition, racing motorbikes and cars, playing racquetball, that kind of thing."

I just thought it was interesting because I think most people view him as an intellectual book worm who is just and x's and o's guy.. however, he is the ultimate competitor physical sports.

Kind of cool...

Originally posted by riggins44

I read that book years ago. It does give you some good insight

into Joe Gibbs, the man.

I actually got the book when it first came out but never read it, until I took a recent business trip and took it with me and started reading. Tells a lot about the man.

Originally posted by skin-n-vegas

I'm thinking of reading the leadership/business book he wrote, (can't recall the title) Anyone read it that can provide testimonial?

I think the book you're refering to is "Racing To Win". I haven't read it myself but I've heard good things about it.

p5741d.jpg

"Racing to Win

By: Joe Gibbs & Ken Abraham

Joe Gibbs is the only coach in history who has won prestigious championships in two world-class sports: NFL’s Super Bowl and NASCAR’s Winston Cup. A proven winner in motivating himself and others to succeed, the former Washington Redskins coach and current NASCAR team owner reveals the keys to success in his new book Racing to Win. Through fascinating inside stories about stock car racing and football, Gibbs candidly admits his own mistakes and shares the life lessons he’s learned. Football and racing fans, as well as anyone interested in balancing work and family responsibilities, will find Racing to Win both a page-turner and a valuable resource filled with practical truths. "

http://www.booksofthebible.com/p5741.html

Gibbs was the national over-35 raquetball champion at one point in time.

Both books are easy and informative. "Racing to Win" has a lot of the same Skins ancedotes at "4th and 1". Both are money for their quotes.

My sig came from "Racing to Win".

Originally posted by BCS:BraveCaringSoul

I think the book you're refering to is "Racing To Win". I haven't read it myself but I've heard good things about it.

http://www.booksofthebible.com/p5741.html

This is also an excellent book. This one is more of a "Joe Gibbs - ways to be successful in life book".....but an excellent read. I finished the book in 2 days...just couldn't put it down.

....and he does mention in the book how he wasn't the brightest kid in the class. He was more interested in drag racing, football, etc.

But I recommend the book highly.

Archived