Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Mike Nolan on NFL Live

They were interviewing Mike Nolan on NFL Live last night and I thought some of his comments were pretty telling.

He was asked why he thought Aaron Rogers slipped in the draft. He didn't know why Miami and Cleveland didn't take him as they need a quarterback now. For the other teams, quarterback wasn't a need. The shelf live for an NFL coach is short and you want someone in the draft that can make an immediate impact.

He said and I quote, "As we all know, you don't want to set up the other guy's success."

And there you have it folks. Most NFL coaches are going to do what's best for them today. We have a coach that is willing to sacrifice what's best for him now! He bleeds burgandy and gold and will do what's best for the Redskins. Joe WANTS to set up the other guy.

Maybe Campbell pans out and maybe he doesn't, but rest assured we are in the hands of a man that loves this franchise and every decision he makes is to help the REDSKINS! Trust the man!

BINGO!

You nailed it Chief... this is exactly why I dont worry one bit about the Campbell selection. Giving up a 3rd and 4th to get a potential top-rated QB a year early is a calculated risk, but one that only serves the team when one considers the long-term picture.

Lets suppose that Pat TEARS it up this year.... and Campbell looks pretty good in pre-season and in his mop-up duty... and lets say it happens again in 2006. What a great position to be in then... Pat can be resigned and Campbell traded, or Pat will be franchised and traded, and Campbell starts, or we just keep them both until we get an offer for one that is just too good to pass up.

As someone mentioned earlier, the Pokes did this with Troy and Walsh and recouped the pick spent on Walsh.

I dont think this is as big of a risk as many want to make this out to be. I look forward to Patrick kicking some boot this year and Campbell learning how its done from the best.

Archived