Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NFL.com: Heading to the Capitol

denverdan

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/8413609

Campbell Q&A: Heading to the Capitol

By Dave Richard

Special to NFL.com

(Draftees from the 2005 NFL Draft sat down for a couple minutes and shared their thoughts and feelings about being picked. This entry comes from quarterback Jason Campbell, selected No. 25 by the Washington Redskins).

You were probably one of the fastest players moving up the draft chart and you made it up to Round 1.

NFL Network

NFL Network

First, I would like to thank God. This has been a great opportunity and it will be an honor playing for coach (Joe) Gibbs who I consider a legendary coach. It is a great feeling to be able to play in Washington D.C.

He met with you a week ago, right?

Yeah, he came down and visited me like a week ago. It was supposed to be private. I don't know how it got out. I had no idea how much interest they had in me until then. I knew they were really interested in me after our conversations down here.

Was it weird to hear your name being circulated after that meeting?

It was kind of weird; I thought everything was low key. And then I saw all these reports and it blew up on ESPN. Then everyone started talking about me and it spread all over. At the time it was weird and all I could do is sit here and see what was going to happen on Saturday.

You have a special treat having your teammate, Carlos Rogers, come with you to Washington.

I got my teammate coming there and they already have one Auburn guy there with Marcus Washington. We will be able to have a family get-together.

Will this make the transition easier?

Yeah, I think it will. To have someone you know and have someone to help you move into the area with. To continue to room with the same person, Carlos and I have played together the last five years on the championship team. For us to continue to play and compete with one another will be great.

Archived