Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Computer/Networking question...

Johnny Punani2

I am thinking about changing careers and going into networking. There is a program at my local comm college where you can get your CCNA/CCNP both at the same time. The total time for the class is about 7 months. My question is will this be enough for me to get an entry level job as an Admin or Engineer?

It depends upon the area where you live, but any type of certification that has "Cisco" in its title will definitely improve your chances of getting a job. But, as I mentioned, it varies on the job market and where you live. Also, trying to get as much hands-on networking experience truly helps as well. It's one thing to have a cert., it's another to know how to use that knowledge!

~B.

Unfortunately, I've ran accross many people who only have certs and no experience. Sorry, not a knock on you personally, I guess everyone needs to start somewhere.

Yes you should be able to get a job. Your cert holds billable vaue. Your lack of experience allows companys to reflect your salary as lack of experience while they bill you at a high rate because of your cert. That's how it works.

Good luck!

Archived