TI/WNR: Mountaineer players eyed by NFL scouts

mikemp

Mountaineer players eyed by NFL scouts

http://www.theintelligencer.net/sports/story/0312202005_spt3mountaineer.asp

By CHRISTOPHER S. NASH

Staff Writer

The Intelligencer/Wheeling-News Register

Saturday, March 12, 2005

MORGANTOWN - Several former West Virginia University standouts made the most of their final chance in front of the scouts, as more than 20 players took part in the West Virginia Pro Day at the Caperton Indoor Practice Facility on Friday afternoon.

Performing in front of NFL coaches and scouts, including Pittsburgh's Bill Cowher and Houston's Dom Capers, the players went through a series of drills and tests in hopes of improving their stock for the 2005 NFL Draft.

The draft will be held at New York's newly built Jacob K. Jabits Convention Center and will take place on April 23 and 24.

"It is exciting for our players,'' said West Virginia coach Rich Rodriguez. "This is also the biggest crowd we have had since I have been here.

"When you have two players that are expected to be high picks, it brings out everyone. I also hope it says we are recruiting and developing players for the next level.''

Cornerback Adam 'Pac-Man' Jones and wide receiver Chris Henry are expected to have their names called early on the first day, with Jones rumored to be a Top 10-selection.

ESPN Draft analyst Mel Kiper, Jr. rates Jones as the No. 6 player overall and No. 1 corner in the draft.

Known for his physical play in the secondary, one scout said of Jones: "he is one the of the toughest players in the draft.''

Jones' top competition for the claim as the top corner available comes from Miami defensive back Antrel Rolle.

While Rolle has the size advantage, Rolle is measured at 6-foot-1, 201 pounds compared to Jones at 5-10, 187, Jones claims the faster 40-yard dash time.

On Friday, Jones turned in times of 4.45 and 4.40 in the 40, while Rolle clocked in at 4.52 and 4.49 at the Miami Pro Day on March 3.

Jones also leaped for a 38¢ inch vertical, and did nine reps of 225-pounds on the bench press.

Pac-Man has a long list of suitors, with the Tennessee Titans and Washington Redskins rumored to have Jones at the top of their draft boards.

Henry meanwhile has the height NFL scouts love at 6-4, making him one for the tallest receivers available in the draft.

And though maturity issues might cost Henry a first-round tag, turning in times of 4.42 and 4.48 in the 40 might help some teams overlook certain shortcomings.

NFL.com National Editor Vic Carucci rates Henry as the No. 5 receiver in the draft.

"I feel I did pretty good overall,'' said Henry. "They have been telling me my size and speed are my biggest strengths.''

Henry also isn't bothered by the number of eyes watching his every move.

"When I am playing, or when I am working out for the scouts, I keep focused,'' said Henry. "I tend to forget about them and concentrate on getting done what I need to get done.''

Henry added a 36-inch vertical, while his list of potential teams include the San Diego Chargers, Pittsburgh Steelers and the Seattle Seahawks.

"You hear a lot things,'' said Henry. "I really don't know at this point.''

The man who threw Henry the ball for his two years at West Virginia spent most of his day working out beside him.

Rasheed Marshall is making the transition from quarterback to wide receiver, hoping to repeat the success of Pittsburgh's Antwaan Randle El, who played quarterback at Indiana before making the successful transition to wide receiver.

"A lot of the guys here make that comparison,'' said Marshall. "And that is a good comparison to have.''

Marshall's speed (4.52-40) and a 41-inch vertical, the best of the day, make him a valued target.

He insist though that 40 time isn't the only speed the scouts look for.

"They tell me I am more impressive on game film,'' said Marshall. "Game speed is different from 40 speed.

"The scouts say they like what they are seeing on film.''

Still, some teams had Marshall go through some throwing drills.

Those were mostly to see if Marshall could fill the role as an emergency quarterback.

The Steelers had several conversations with Marshall, and appear very interested in the Pittsburgh native.

"It would be nice to stay home,'' said Marshall.

Kay-Jay Harris also appeared to have helped his stock with a 40-inch vertical leap, and times of 4.56 and 4.58.

The 6-1, 235-pound running back claims his ability to catch the ball out of the backfield will help him on draft day.

"That is probably my biggest asset,'' said Harris.

"I have always been capable of catching the ball, and I think is a very underrated part of my game.

"I definitely feel good about how I performed today.''

Archived