Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

An awful draft.

Baculus

Weaver was a NEED pick for Baltimore. Their DL, especially DT, has been decimated through free agent defections/retirement.

So, I disagree that Newsome's willingness to trade up to get him is an indicator that he is necessarily a bona fide player.

After Weaver, the DT quality fell off precipitously. They could only have drafted a project later. The Ravens NEEDED a player that has a CHANCE to contribute right away. The Redskins possibly have other alternatives than getting a guy with the proverbial "limited upside."

I certainly would not have minded the Redskins taking Weaver. But the Ravens trade-up move to get him was more an indicator of their desperation for DL bodies than Weaver being a gotta-have player.

Subj: 2nd round OG or DT

Guys, let's get real. Many of you are complaining about the Skins not grabbing an OG or DT in the 2nd round. But realistically, let's take a look at what happened...

OG: the two best OG's were Gurode and Fonoti. They went 5 and 7 in the 2nd round. The Skins had the 20 in the 2nd before moving back to 24. Had they stayed put, they'd have had to at least part with a 3rd round pick to move up high enough to snag either Gurode and Fonoti. I don't think it would have realistically been viable to give up that much for an OG.

DT: the best DT's early on in the 2nd round were Tripplet and Freeman, taken 10 and 11 in the 2nd round. The same analysis applies. It would have cost too much to move up and take either one of these guys.

If the prevailing thought was to continue to move down out of the first round and pick up either Gurode, Fonoti, Tripplet, or Freeman, then you guys are crazy. Patrick Ramsey is worth more than these guys combined (pun intended).

Giving up the possibility of landing a franchise QB to pick up an OG or DT is ridiculous.

Though I have to admit, the Skins could have done a better job in the 3rd round. With Bauman's pick, DT Charles Hill was still available... and he's probably just as good as Anthony Weaver.

With Cliff Russell's pick, OG Terence Metcalf would have been a phenonmenal pick. The boy is a monster.

The 3rd round was where there was some very good value at DT and OG, but the Skins passed. Sorry.

Eddie

Archived