Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

New Article on Giants Game - Trevor Walters (Mid-AtlanticSports.net)

RedskinLifer

Finally, a chance to write a positive article. I hope everyone enjoys.

Now That's More Like It

by: Trevor Walters

December 7, 2004

Ah, 20 points, you were indeed a fickle mistress. Teasing us as you did, I was beginning to wonder if ever our eyes would meet. But a man named Ramsey and his band of merry receivers – who were for once receptive – saw to it that the heretofore unbroken threshold was shattered before most fans could bite into their mid-game hot dog.

Mine eyes have seen the glory of what used to be the Joe Gibbs offense. There were runs, play-fakes, short passes, and everything else save ‘kitchen sink right’. This was what we thought we’d see each week; we just had to wait twelve weeks for it. But, firmly entrenched in my recliner, you couldn’t have blasted the smile off of my face with an industrial strength floor waxer.

Sunday was exactly what this team needed. Normally, when one unit is so obviously deficient while the other excels as has been the case with our offense and defense respectively, the resulting internal explosion is enough to divide a team irreparably. But to Joe Gibbs infinite credit, that hasn’t been the case this season. The team has seemingly grown closer instead of apart. That fact, coupled with the offense’s most complete performance to date, is reason for optimism going into an important off-season.

I am fully aware that we are still alive for a playoff spot, and I know that three of the teams ahead of us – Detroit, Chicago, and Tampa Bay – all have Redskin defeats on their respective records. That said, I’ll wait for a similar performance and result next week against the Eagles before I start mulling over various scenarios. We are still alive only because every non-49er team in the NFC is still alive, and we’ll need more than a little help if we are to see meaningful football in January.

Well, I waited four paragraphs, and I can’t hold it any more. Patrick Ramsey had only three incompletions Sunday. Three! That, friends and neighbors, is as efficient a game as you’ll see this side of Peyton Manning. Granted, he totaled a respectable, yet unspectacular 174 yards through the air, but when the backs turn in a combined 212 yards on the ground, you really don’t need otherworldly passing yardage to bring a victory home.

In Ramsey’s entire career in D.C., he has never looked so comfortable in the pocket, and never seemed to have such command of the offense as he did Sunday afternoon. He seemed to exude confidence, and for the first time this season, the other 10 offensive starters could draw confidence from their quarterback. In his previous three appearances, two starts and a relief stint in the first Giants game, he had been at times stellar, and putrid. But in this game, he performed to a level that no detractor could deny. Ramsey made his most authoritative claim on the starting quarterback position, and hopefully left little doubt that the post will be filled very well for years to come.

Ramsey seems to be the type of person that won’t necessarily exert himself in a leadership capacity until he’s been around awhile. Well, having been here two years plus now, and more importantly, having earned his teammate’s respect with toughness and determination, his leadership can now be seen with every celebratory pump of his fist. He is maturing into the leader that this offense desperately needs, and he is taking his team back.

Clinton Portis was responsible for 148 of those 212 yards the halfbacks produced, and more importantly, scored his third rushing touchdown of the season. With an offense that has been awash in futility all season, that number alone is possibly the most perplexing. Coming into this season, his first as a Redskin, Portis had seen action in 29 NFL games, and had scored just as many touchdowns. This season, unfortunately, has seen him break the plane a mere three times. When searching for a poster boy for the woes of the 2004 Redskin Offense, one need look no further than number 26.

But, this was the game that everything clicked the way we all, perhaps foolishly, thought it would from day one. Granted, this performance came against a depleted Giants defense, but don’t let that skew what truly was an impressive performance. The Giants were indeed down several starters, the most notable of which was perennial All-Pro Michael Strahan, but this alone was not the reason for our offensive breakout. Our offense was operating at such a high level that the personnel on the opposing side was but a mere detail.

Quite frankly, you’ll excuse me if I don’t lend any credence to the idea that the only reason we scored as plentifully as we did was the Giants injury docket. We have maintained ourselves among the league’s top three defenses with several players who weren’t even in the league last season, and I don’t mean rookies, either. Boo freakin’ hoo. So you have a few injuries. We have a 41 year old guard playing tackle, then guard, and then tackle again. Our defensive line has featured such household names as Ryan Boschetti, Demetric Evans, and Ron Warner. Excuse me if I don’t break out the violin when former first rounder William Joseph is forced into action.

Given that we are the Redskins, we couldn’t avoid the poor officiating bug that follows us wherever we go. On the Giants lone score, would-be tackler Rock Cartwright was very clearly blocked in the back, though a flag indicating such an infraction was nowhere to be found. It is troubling that we have moved beyond simply not getting the benefit-of-the-doubt calls, and migrated all the way to not getting obvious infractions. One needed only to be present to see that was clearly illegal, however the men with the flags didn’t see it that way, and a Giants touchdown was the result.

It is along those lines that I grab my soapbox and prepare to deliver an impassioned cry to the league office to stop calling every incompletion pass interference! Fred Smoot was whistled for such a call on a play in which he not only didn’t interfere, but what little contact there was would not have even been considered ill-mannered in most social situations. Yet that, along with thousands of other should-be no-calls, are getting called this season. Call it rule emphasis, call in enforcement, just don’t call it all the time. We benefited from just such a call in this game ourselves when Laveranues Coles drew a flag when he was tugged lightly by a Giant defender, a mere thirty yards or so from the actual action. It’s gotten way out of hand, and in my opinion, has been more than a little responsible for the astronomical output we are seeing from offenses around the league.

As with any game, though, there were things that still need improvement. The penalties, most notably the holding call on Cory Raymer that negated a stunning touchdown pass to rookie Chris Cooley, are still a major area of concern. I would point out that I’m referring only to those that we actually were guilty of, but my sermon on that topic has concluded. Cooley would ultimately get his score, but that shouldn’t cloud what has been a thorn in our side all season.

There has been a growing sentiment among Redskins fans that perhaps Raymer is a weak link that the front office should look to replace this off-season. Normally where the offensive line is concerned, unless there is a glaring need, I’m for maintaining continuity. Sunday’s game was a big strike against Raymer in my book, however, and not just for the punitive holding call. He was overmatched on several other occasions, and this isn’t something that figures to fade away given that Raymer is in the December of his NFL career.

Don’t let Ramsey’s stellar performance, or Portis’ outstanding day overshadow another fine performance from the offensive side of the ball. Even though Ramsey and Portis were superb, the game ball goes to Randy Thomas, who not only returned from his hamstring injury weeks ahead of schedule, but did so while playing up to his usual high standard. Thomas was pulling when he needed to pull, and held his ground when the situation dictated that he do so.

Football players play through injuries all the time, you say, his case is not special or unusual. But, my friends, you’re missing the point. Thomas came back extraordinarily early from his injury, and did so to play in a virtually meaningless game, for a then 3-8 team. If you are looking for a Redskin guy, then look Thomas’ way. This is the kind of effort that inspires teammates, and sets an example down the road when similar situations occur.

Let’s take a look around the league, and see what else happened in this, the weekend that saw us conquer our own personal windmill, the 20 point barrier, in a manner that would make Don Quixote himself bow in approval.

- Anybody else have déjà vu watching Terry Robiskie this Sunday? I mean take the Patriots completely out of the equation, there was no way that the Browns were going to win with Robiskie calling the shots. Somehow Cleveland management figured out one of the only ways to take a step back from Butch Davis, and then figured it would be a good idea to go ahead with it.

- In a banner weekend for quarterbacks all around the league, the most surprising performance had to be Chad Hutchinson, who led the Bears to a victory over the December-phobic Vikings. Good for them. Any team that suffers through quarterback play that is statistically worse than Mark Brunell deserves to have it go their way every once in a while.

- Speaking of the Vikings, their annual NFC choking partner, the Seattle Seahawks, will be paying a visit to the Metrodome Sunday. I’m actually somewhat interested to see who wins this battle of the two softest teams in football.

- The Seahawks will be coming off of a heart breaking defeat at the hands of the Cowboys. A small part of me is justified when the Seahawks lose, but I really hate that I won’t get to spend the week watching Parcells insult his team publicly through the media. It was a good win for Dallas, though luck was not in short supply for Tuna’s Boys.

- The vaunted Baltimore defense, replete with trademarked dances and coach-mandated ego, surrendered 24 fourth quarter points to the Bengals, and dropped the first game in the Brian Billick era in which the Ravens had a two touchdown lead. This isn’t my Watch-Out-for-the-Bengals plug, but it can stand as my Maybe-You’re-Not-the-’85 Bears-After-All statement.

- Is it completely out of the question that convicted double murderer Scott Peterson be sentenced to play for the 49ers?

- Just when I start to think that maybe Michael Vick is coming around, he lays an egg against the Bucs. If it wasn’t for the Bill Maas-type idiocy of the commentators of Falcons games, I might have a less inflammatory view. But when you are 13 for 27 with two interceptions, maybe you’re not the “most exciting athlete on the planet”.

- Kudos to Marty Schottenheimer who led his team to a 20-17 victory over division rival Denver Sunday, bringing the Chargers’ record to an impressive 9-3. They are now in the driver’s seat of a division that has crumbled faster than the French Civil Defense. It’s always good to see ole Norville fail, and I’ve got to say I’m happy that Champ Bailey is dwelling in obscurity out there as well. How will we ever make it without Champ?

- It is with a heavy heart that I acknowledge that Donovan McNabb had the game of his career Sunday, throwing for over 450 yards in a 47-17 rout of the Packers. I am still looking forward to watching their collapse in the playoffs, though I am a little unclear as to who will facilitate that collapse.

- By the way, where are all the emails lately telling me what an idiot I am for saying that the Giants are horrible? Give me time, I’ll be wrong a thousand times, but I was right on with that one.

- Speaking of stupid things I said, my NFC Super Bowl team, the St. Louis Rams, brought their record to 6-6 with a victory over the CFL’s San Francisco 49ers. The Rams are always really good for a few weeks, then just as bad for a few more. Maybe their upswing will fall around the time they’d be playing the Eagles in the Playoffs.

- The Rams are in the catbird seat to take home the NFC West crown, meaning that they are the least bad of four pathetic teams. Winning the NFC West is like winning the Prettiest Fat Girl Contest.

- I honestly feel sorry for Jim Haslett. In his post-game press conference, he seemed near tears in trying to explain his team’s latest sub par performance. There’s no crying in football, but I might have to give Coach Haslett a pass on this one.

- Denny Green is pushing his credibility to the limits by starting 7th round draft pick John Navarre and his rookie counterpart Larry Croom Sunday in Detroit. Proving a point is one thing, but deciding your starting lineup via radio talk show contest is another entirely.

- Everybody with me….Resign Fred Smoot!

Well, folks, it’s certainly nice to feel good on Monday for a change. I watched SportsCenter last night without having to turn away in anger, and I tuned in to the NFL Channel’s press conference coverage without a second thought. Realistically, we postponed being mathematically eliminated by a few days, but in the greater scheme of things, we took a giant step forward as a team. No matter what Gibbs did in his first go ‘round as Redskins coach, it doesn’t justify faith in his system as much as a good old fashioned victory does. Players spoke after the game of the offense clicking, and Ramsey could be seen displaying more leadership and fire than he ever had. We have as much goodwill as a 4-8 team can have, and you’ll excuse me if I don’t wallow in it myself.

For us to win Sunday night, we have to play as well offensively as we just did, and we must have our usual outstanding defensive game as well. The Eagles are easily the best team in the conference, but if we have those two things I just mentioned, we can beat them. Now, on the season we have had one good offensive game, and 11 poor ones, so the odds aren’t in our favor. But we did it once, and more importantly, we did it in our last game, so you never know. I just want to see the offense build on what it established Sunday, and not take a step backward.

Enjoy the win, friends and neighbors; they’ve been few and far between. Wear that Redskins hat to the gym, don’t put that pullover on over the burgundy t-shirt, and keep the flag flying high on the front porch for another week or so. We saw actual improvement Sunday, and the test now is to not regress. Until we know what is to come of this season, keep checking back for your mid-week Redskins football fix. Hail to the Redskins!

Questions and comments can be sent to Trevor Walters at skins.fan@comcast.net

Great read; I feel the same way about how our offense put it together last week.

In his talk of penalties, though, something significant stood out to me: we overcame them.

This season, it has always seemed to me that our offense, whenever driving, was always stopped dead in it's tracks by a holding penalty; a delay of game; or a false start. These penalties this season have stalled many, many drives.

But not last week. Sure, we still had the problems there; holding from Raymer, for instance. That penalty negated a very, very big play. However, our team responded positively, and managed to still drive the ball for 6.

This is a very big deal, and I hope we can continue to perform well in this regard.

Archived