Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The state of affairs...

D'Pablo

Although we suck right now, I feel that if there is continuity for at least 3 seasons with this team, we will be serious contenders and more importantly, the franchise will turn around. I'm not just looking at this team for Gibbs' tenure, I'm looking at it for post-Gibbs as well. Think about it, Gibbs takes over as team president once he retires as a coach. Then, there is a GM in place, and we have a hell of a lot of options to carry on the Gibbs legacy in Gregg Williams, Russ Grimm, Ernest Byner, and Darrell Green to name a few.

This upcoming season will be amazing in that we no longer have a need to find big name free agents. The base is there: a young intelligent and strong-armed QB, a prolific young running back, young defense with lots of intelligent role players. We have needs at WR, OL, DL that can be solved with this upcoming draft as opposed to free agency.

These are areas that traditionally are the easiest fill with the draft. Braylon Edwards would be an excellent Gardner replacement and Coles compliment. I especially like this guy's pass catching and separation skills. Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing our 2006 first rounder traded for a second rounder this year, so we can build our young base sooner than later. With that second we could go DE because it seems that position is dropping with injuries in the college ranks, but is oozing with potential. The third and fourth rounds would be a perfect time to address the guard and center positions. Although, with Wilson getting starting time at a much more demanding position, right tackle, he could be the answer at left guard considering his size and dexterity. This leaves the center position at large, which I believe can be addressed with our third or with a cheap free agent. In the later rounds, I suggest drafting for the corner back (depth is a concern), quarterback (for a quality back up or future starter), and tight end (look for some athleticism at this position) positions.

Whatever we choose to do in the draft, I hope we do not resort to a quick fix in free agency. This is a complicated defense and offense, and players must be brought up in it as opposed to being brought in as a free agents and expected to produce immediately. Just look at Gibbs' first tenure where most of the players that made a difference had been in the system for years upon years. We should look to the future of the franchise and not the next 2-3 years.

Archived