Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

DP:Redskins begin line dance

scskinsfan

http://www.dailypress.com/sports/dp-58787sy0aug11,0,6795856.story?coll=dp-sports-local

Redskins begin line dance

BY RYAN O'HALLORAN

247-4964

Published August 11, 2004

Jon Jansen, nicknamed "Rock" because he has missed one play in five seasons, realized immediately he was in trouble.

"I knew exactly what happened when it happened," he said.

Late in the first quarter of the Redskins' 20-17 win over the Denver Broncos in Monday's Hall of Fame Game, Jansen was nearly 30 yards from the play when he went down with a ruptured left Achilles' tendon. He is likely out for the season. Jansen was so far out of the play, ABC cameras did not have a replay of how he got hurt.

"There wasn't anybody around me," Jansen said. "I just turned to run downfield and it just popped. It felt like somebody kicked me right in the back of the ankle."

And the Redskins felt like somebody had kicked them in the gut. There was the leader of their offensive line, sitting on the bench, his head in his hands, knowing his season was over in the first quarter of the first preseason game.

"Jon's a guy who's irreplaceable," quarterback Mark Brunell said.

Said QB Patrick Ramsey: "I knew it was serious because I've never seen Jon stay down. He just gets up, shakes it off and moves on."

After taking Tuesday off, the Redskins go back to work today with a 4:30 p.m. practice.

Besides preparing for Saturday's game against Carolina, the Redskins will begin re-tooling their offensive line for the Sept. 12 opener against Tampa Bay. With no starter-quality tackles on the market, the in-house solution appears to be Kenyatta Jones.

Jones, 24, started in place of Randy Thomas at right guard against Denver. But Jones is a true tackle. He started 11 games at right tackle for New England in 2002. Jones made news in New England when he threw boiling water on his personal assistant. He received one year's probation after pleading no contest to a felony assault charge. Now he wants to make on-field headlines.

"(Jansen's injury) is a big negative for this team, but we have to move on. Injuries are a part of the game and that's why we have backups and guys who can play multiple positions," Jones said. "I'll get myself ready."

He is the best option, partly by default. Because Jones was playing right guard, Daryl Terrell replaced Jansen at right tackle and was beaten cleanly, forcing Brunell to scramble out of harm's way. Terrell has never started an NFL game at right tackle. Mark Wilson and Jim Molinaro are rookies and Brandon Winey - who made three starts at left tackle last year - has yet to practice this month because of an ankle injury.

The Redskins signed Jones (6-feet-3, 307 pounds) last November, but he sustained a season-ending pectoral injury and did not play in a game. He was also limited during the team's three offseason minicamps. He's just glad to be back at tackle.

"I had never played guard before so it was all new to me," he said. "I showed I had the ability to play there and now going back to tackle, I know what's going on around me. I just have to play. I feel I'm getting back into a groove of things and it will come to me."

If Brunell is the starter, Jones will be protecting his blind side.

"Losing Jon is going to hurt us, but I have faith in Kenyatta and Brandon," left tackle Chris Samuels said. "I feel those guys can step into that role."

Whoever plays right tackle is going to have help in protecting Brunell and Ramsey. During Brunell's three series against Denver, the Redskins used seven blockers on three passing plays and Brunell's best pass - an 8-yarder to Rod Gardner - came after he rolled out of the pocket.

While the Redskins go to Plan B, Jansen is headed toward surgery and a long rehabilitation.

"It's something that's going to be a challenge I've never had before," he said. "It's disappointing and frustrating, especially with the new coaching staff we have here and all of the expectations."

Archived