Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

DP:New back ready to carry the load

scskinsfan

http://www.dailypress.com/sports/dp-57414sy0aug08,0,5817409.story?coll=dp-sports-local

New back ready to carry the load

With speed, quickness, receiving ability and moxie, Clinton Portis fits the new/old offense.

BY RYAN O'HALLORAN

247-4964

Published August 8, 2004

ASHBURN -- They call Joe Gibbs' offense ideal for a quarterback with its protection-first schemes, efficient passing game and general attention to detail.

It's also perfect for somebody who wants 300 carries and 100 catches this season. Somebody who wants to inspire his offensive mates to rebound from the 5-11 debacle of 2003. Somebody who relishes the responsibility that comes with being an every-down back.

"That's what running backs do for Coach Gibbs," Clinton Portis says. "They carry the load."

Portis starts the journey Monday night when his new team faces his old team - Denver - in the preseason opener at Canton, Ohio.

The trip to Redskins Park and the first week of training camp was rapid: a new contract request, followed by a trade and $50 million contract. The trip back to respectablity, Portis hopes, will be similarily quick.

"Guys are looking to me this year," he says. "(The Redskins) gave up a good player to get a good player. Now I have to go out and show that my team got the better end of the deal."

Portis is the most important player on the Redskins' roster.

Acquired for All-Pro cornerback Champ Bailey and a draft choice during the offseason, Portis, only 22 years old and a third-year professional, will be the catalyst for Gibbs' offense.

"He'll touch the ball ... a lot," Gibbs says.

A basic tenet of pro football is a team must run the ball to win. Enter Portis. Last year, the Redskins ranked 20th in the NFL in average yards per carry at 3.9. Portis averaged 5.5.

"You could fill up every newspaper page you have on him," center Cory Raymer says. "That's how much he can do."

BLOCKBUSTER TRADE

A Reader's Digest version of Portis' two years in the NFL:

Drafted in second round by Denver after leading Miami (Fla.) to a national title. ... Rushed for 1,508 yards and is Offensive Rookie of the Year in 2002. ... Gained 1,591 yards and is a Pro Bowler in 2003. ... Said he wanted a new contract or he'll hold out. ... Days later, said he would report to camp. ... Weeks later, he's a Redskin and signs $50 million contract. ... Months later, his No. 26 is a blur - darting, slashing, cutting, and sprinting - at training camp.

Get all that? It's been a busy two years for the kid from Gainesville, Fla., who didn't give running back a shot until 1997 and scared off college recruiters who didn't think he was big enough at 5-feet-11, 205 pounds.

When the trade talks started, the Redskins coaching staff was in Indianapolis for the NFL Scouting Combine. They forgot about the college kids to look at Portis' tapes. And when they were done?

"We were ready to pull the trigger," running backs coach Ernest Byner recalls.

Portis had his new contract.

Gibbs had his offensive centerpiece.

Post-trade discussion developed a perception that Portis was not a natural fit for Gibbs run-heavy offense and was unlike any of the coach's feature backs during his first tour with the team (1981-92). Perhaps the most famous play of the Gibbs Era is plowhorse John Riggins going off left guard, shedding a defender and scoring on a 43-yard run early in the fourth quarter of the Redskins' 27-17 win over Miami in Super Bowl XVII.

But Joe Washington, only 179 pounds to Riggins' 240, was the Redskins' leading rusher in 1981. And Byner, sized between the two, had 1,000-yard campaigns in 1991 and '92. Gibbs won Super Bowls with three different quarterbacks (Joe Theismann, Doug Williams and Mark Rypien); he also won Super Bowls with three different leading rushers (Riggins, George Rogers and Byner).

Translation: The coach knows how to adapt.

"Running backs come in all kinds of packages," Gibbs says. "Clinton has rushed for a lot of yards both years, and his background says he's very consistent and very good."

HOME RUN POTENTIAL

"He can be a guy who can hit the home run if you give him a crack," Gibbs says of Portis.

In his two NFL seasons, Portis has scored 31 touchdowns. Last year he had runs of 48 and 64 yards and two 59-yard runs.

"I like everything about Clinton," says former Redskins quarterback and ESPN commentator Joe Theismann. "I like his quickness, his ability to catch the ball, how he can run inside as well as outside. ... I'm still scratching my head why the deal was done. Why he is out of Denver? I'm curious to ask Mike (Shanahan) that question."

The company line from Denver is that the Broncos were unable to afford a monster Portis contract. But they found enough money to give Bailey a $63 million deal, and there was talk that Portis was the product of a system that also produced 1,000-yard runners Terrell Davis, Olandis Gary and Mike Anderson.

Portis, who brushes off such talk, wants to show the numbers are a result of his talent by providing instant energy for a Redskins offense that lacked a consistent running back following the release of Stephen Davis after the 2002 season.

If Steve Spurrier were still in charge, Portis would not be here. The run simply was not a priority the last two seasons. Last year, the Redskins had eight rushing touchdowns, their opponents 20. And in only three games last year did the Redskins have more rushes than passes. They were 3-0 in those games, including a win over eventual Super Bowl champion New England.

During Gibbs' first run through the NFL, the Redskins averaged 33.7 runs and 32.1 passes per game. In Spurrier's two seasons, the Redskins averaged 26.9 runs and 33.9 passes.

With Gibbs calling the plays and Portis running, the numbers should even out, allowing the Redskins to control the clock and field position.

"It's a weapon for our offense and it's a plus for the line because we don't have to block all of them. He'll make some of them miss," Raymer says.

San Diego's LaDainian Tomlinson is regarded as the NFL's top running back, and Raymer blocked for him the last two seasons.

"They have the same quickness and drive," Raymer says. "Clinton knows when to turn the afterburners on, knows when to cut and when to lower his shoulder. And all three are effective."

Tight end Walter Rasby spent the 2000 season blocking for Barry Sanders in Detroit.

"(Portis) has a lot of the same qualities," Rasby says. "His vision is very, very good, and that's the foundation of a good back: great vision, and then good balance and a good center of gravity. At this level, there are a lot of good running backs that can see the hole open. But it's one thing to see it. It's another thing to get through it before it closes."

THE VIDEOTAPE LIES

"I liken it to watching Michael Jordan on television, and then you go see him in person and it's different," Byner says. "The same thing with Clinton. You see that something extra that you don't recognize on tape. He's probably a little quicker in person."

Said tackle Jon Jansen: "You watch highlights and see him running down the field, but until you get a chance to play with him, you don't realize how good he is and how good he can be."

Besides using him to protect the quarterback, Gibbs envisions Portis in a Tomlinson-type role. Get him in the open field, Gibbs rationalizes, and good things are going to happen.

"LaDainian had 100 catches last year, and I'm thinking about 101 for me," Portis says. "I told Laveranues (Coles) he probably won't make the Pro Bowl. I told Rod Gardner to hang it up. I'm going to do everything around here."

Gibbs' response?

"He's got a really good sense of humor," he says. "I don't know about 101 catches, but he's going to touch the ball a lot. His tongue is going to be hanging out of his mouth."

On a team with myriad question marks - quarterback, defensive line, chemistry - Gibbs says he can count on Portis.

"You don't have to worry about Clinton," he says. "He's already done it. He's already produced."

Now Gibbs needs Portis to do it again.

Just one more day fellas... I cant wait to see Mondays game, I know it's just preseason and all, but I just want to see how our team looks under superior coaching. BTW of the games that we lost last year what was the point spread? If I recall correctly a lot of the games were decided by a touchdown or less, this team has HEART and they are going to back it up with play this year! :point2sky

"Guys are looking to me this year," he says. "(The Redskins) gave up a good player to get a good player. Now I have to go out and show that my team got the better end of the deal."

Wow !! What a statement this is from a 22yro... All i have heard from Champ is very negative childish remarks. This is from a hurricane no less....

He really needs to take ST under his wing.....

I am looking foward to seeing that vertical running game from him this year. He may be right about the trade. Time of possesion can only make our defense better.

:cheers:

Archived