Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

training camp observations

Ignatius J.

As I watch some of the coverage on ESPN of training camps being held across the country, I have noticed two things. First, Full Pads.

Many other teams appear to be practicing in shoulder pads but normal shorts. While they can definately do some hitting, I think this apparel is indicative of a camp with less hitting.

Second, the QBs do not have the red jerseys on. Now, I would never mistake this for a belief that gibbs is going to let his QBs get hit. In all the practices I watched, every player pulled up before even touching our QBs, but it makes me wonder, why does gibbs do this? Maybe it's just a unity thing.

Well there is definitely less full contact scrimmaging going on now -- then 12 years ago -- the last time Gibbs coached. The reason being that teams don't wont to risk injury to high-priced players, with their cap ramifications. As a consequence of this, John Madden said that tackling in the NFL has suffered accordingly.

That said, Gibbs always had a reputation of having tough scrimmages -- full contact with tackling -- even after the season gets underway. But at this time of the year, I think you have to go easy on the players, because it is a long 16 week grind, not counting the playoffs.

Unlike Spurrier though, I guarantee you that Gibbs will have the team scrimmaging and practicing in the mud, rain and snow after the season gets under way. There will be little if any indoor practices held. :D

Archived