Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

An article on Cooley

http://deseretnews.com/dn/view/0,1249,510046838,00.html

Cooley is hot for USU

By Jay Hinton

Deseret Morning News

LOGAN — Sometimes it takes someone leaving to realize exactly what you have.

Utah State's Chris Cooley, who is ranked by The Sporting News as the 19th best tight end in the nation and a Mackay Award candidate as the best tight end, will play a key role for the Aggies this season.

Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret Morning News

Sounds a lot like a love story. In a way it is.

Utah State head coach Mick Dennehy loves the way senior tight end Chris Cooley catches and runs with the football, but he didn't fully realize Cooley's talents until running back Emmett White left two years ago.

"I guess with Emmett going it took us a little time to figure out, I guess, that we have another guy here that gives us some other elements that we don't have without him," Dennehy said.

The departure of Kevin Curtis, who was drafted in the third round by the St. Louis Rams this year, also leaves another void. Curtis tallied 74 catches for 1,258 yards and nine touchdowns.

The year after White's graduation, and working along side Curtis, Cooley recorded 31 catches — third-best on the team — for 502 yards and four touchdowns.

In the last four games, he emerged with 22 of his 31 catches for 376 yards. He had six for 60 yards in a win over New Mexico State; seven for 134 yards in a win over Troy State and five for 105 yards in a loss to Middle Tennessee.

"I think, by position, our tight ends may have gotten overlooked," Dennehy said. "At the end of the year the inside receiver that had the most catches was the running back (not the tight end)."

Now, the burden falls on Cooley, and he's ready for that challenge.

"Another goal for me is to go out and play 12 great games," Cooley said.

Dennehy believes Cooley, who is ranked by The Sporting News as the 19th best tight end in the nation and a Mackay Award candidate as the best tight end, can answer the bell.

"Of all the guys we've got returning, he's probably the hottest guy we had at the end of the year," Dennehy said.

And, Cooley, who played defense, offense and special teams his freshman year, wants to play a big role in the offense.

"I think I can catch eight balls a game," he said. "I don't see a reason why I can't, but I'll do whatever I can. I'll take coverage away from other players, whatever it takes to move the ball."

Dennehy said Cooley, a Logan High graduate, possesses soft hands and has the ability to gain yards after the initial catch and/or contact.

"We've got to take advantage of that," Dennehy said.

Cooley understands his role in the offense and is willing to do whatever it takes to make team win.

"My main goal is to lead my team to win the Sun Belt," Cooley said. "I'll consider it (the season) a successful year no matter what if we accomplish that."

For now, Cooley is a bit of an unknown, but it won't be long before his opponents to realize who he is.

"I think going into the first could of games I'll he a bit of an unknown, but I feel within our team and our offense I'm not an unknown," he said.

Archived