Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

bethard way for gibbs

bsmsss

keep in mind how gibbs likes to build a team--get vets over picks

he traded for byner,rogers,gerald riggs,jim lachey,eric williams,wilber marshall,etc

he won this way and will once again get vets for picks

dont be shocked if he gets dillon for our 3rd pick

Originally posted by bsmsss

he traded for byner,rogers,gerald riggs,jim lachey,eric williams,wilber marshall,etc

He was also convinced that 30+ year old Riggins could be a huge help. Which he was.

good point and even last year with out gibbs the skins didnt have manypicks but the some of the players they got i their place were pretty good.

I'm not so sure you can attribute all those acquisitions to Joe Gibbs. Bobby Beathard was the one who liked to wheel and deal.

Ultimately though, it doesn't matter how you get the good players, so long as you get them. :)

Whilst it's true that Beathard was the wheeler and dealer back then, surely him and Joe spoke about what players they were going after and Gibbs had an input, especially on the big name moves...he must have said to Beathard, get me a RB, Beathard got Riggs and Byner, so I'm sure Gibbs approved of the trade picks for vets.

One of the other differences beteen now and when Gibbs last coached here is that the draft is shorter, 7 instead of 10 rounds and we had a lot of success with late round draft picks and undrafted FA's. Gibbs will insist on guys with smarts, with good work ethic, who can play within a system and he will look for that over natural talent and phyical ability.

I'll bet about 5 or more undrafted FA's make this seasons roster.

Archived