Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

10 teams interested in QB Ricky Ray of Canada, including Cowpies

I've never seen QB Ricky Ray play, but given the success the 49ers have had with former Canadian leaguer, Jeff Garcia, I wonder if the Skins shouldn't at least consider this guy as a #2 or #3 QB? :rolleyes:

As Joe Gibbs used to say: "You can never have enough good QB's or RB's on your team."

-- Ricky Ray Update -- from FFMastermind.com

ESPN's Len Pasquarelli reports about 10 teams remain interested in CFL QB Ricky Ray, the former Sacramento State standout who threw for 4,640 yards with the Edmonton Eskimos in 2003. Teams have until the end of February to sign Ray.

If the Atlanta Falcons with Michael Vick are looking at this guy, shouldn't the Redskins? :rolleyes:

=================================

Ricky Ray begins auditions in front of numerous NFL suitors

Record Searchlight staff

December 23, 2003 — 2:07 a.m.

Former Shasta High School and Shasta College standout quarterback Ricky Ray auditioned for nine to 10 NFL teams last week at the Denver Broncos' training facility, according to published reports. Ray has spent the past two years playing for the CFL's Edmonton Eskimos, leading them to the Grey Cup in November.

"I think it went well," Ray told the Edmonton Journal last Thursday. "I got some positive feedback, but we'll have to wait and see what happens."

At 6-foot-3, 210-pounds, Ray completed 346 of 515 passes for 4,600 yards, 35 touchdowns and 13 interceptions this season. Ray finished with a completion percentage of 67.6 and a passer rating of 108.1.

Among the teams in attendance were the Denver Broncos, Dallas Cowboys, Kansas City Chiefs, Buffalo Bills, Green Bay Packers, Houston Texans, New York Jets and Atlanta Falcons.

"He doesn't just want to come down just for the sake of coming down," said Ray's agent Ken Staninger in an interview with CBS.SportsLine.com writer Pete Prisco last Thursday. "If he can get a shot at a No. 2 job with an eye on the No. 1 job, then it would be something he would do. But I don't think he feels coming down for a No. 3 job is the right thing for his career."

Staninger also told CBS.SportsLine.com that four other teams wanted to see Ray work out but could not attend. Staninger also said Ray might work out at the East-West Shrine Game—a college all star game in early January at Pacific Bell Park where all NFL teams will have scouts and personnel people.

A 2001 Sacramento State graduate, Ray is entering the option year of his CFL contract, but under CFL-NFL agreement, Ray is eligible to sign with a team from Dec. 29 to Feb. 28. If that doesn't happen the option in Canada is exercised.

Prior to his stint with Edmonton, Ray played seven games for the Fresno Frenzy of Arena Football2. In those seven games, Ray completed 116 passes for 1,296 yards, 25 touchdowns and six interceptions.

In two seasons at Sacramento State, Ray became the school's career completion percentage leader, completing .619 percent of his passes and ranks third in touchdowns (33) and fourth in yards (4,622) and completions (347).

If Ray does join the NFL, he would add his name to a list of current and former NFL quarterbacks who have made the switch like San Francisco 49ers Jeff Garcia to the San Diego Charges Doug Flutie and former Houston Oiler Warren Moon.

Tuesday, December 23, 2003

Archived