Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Do we need to upgrade at WR?

Chrisbob74

Don't get me wrong, there are a lot of much more important areas that need upgrading and we have discussed them over and over so I figured I'd get a few opinions on our WR's.

Firstly, I ask this because it's highly likely we won't keep more than 5 receivers on the roster (rather than the 7 that SOS kept) so depth has to be an issue. Perhaps the fact that the competition for a roster spot will be harder for receivers may make everyone up their game.

Secondly, apart from Coles, our receivers were hit and miss in a lot of games last season, ok, so was a lot of the offense but we all know about Gardeners problems with drops and dumb penalties and Jacobs injuries.

Also, McCants, whilst looking good at times seen a lot of his playing time in the slot, this was good for getting mismatches but if he were needed to play on the outside vs a top notch corner could he still be effective?

This is a young unit, perhaps Gibbs would like a savvy vet in here.

So lets look at the guys we have:

Coles, a superstar for us, no question he's our #1.

Gardener, drops have been a problem but this guy has size and strength and has been a 1,000 yard receiver for us so it is clear he has talent. There has been talk (on here) about trading him but I can't see it happening, no way we get a 1st rounder for him and will teams give a 2nd rounder for him, I doubt it, they would rather take a chance on a draft pick I think. I wouldn't take any less than a 2nd so it becomes a mute point discussing lower round picks. The only way he may get traded is if we do some kind of compicated trade involving a lot of picks, maybe if we get high on a player in the draft and he slips to the low first round and we look to trade up and use Gardener to do it, a little far fetched that though! Basically, I think we are stuck with him so it will be down to Gibbs and co to get the best out of him.

McCants, effective in the slot and is great in the red zone but can he be effective from the outside? He has to prove this. Now, I can't see us tendering him for a first so it will be a tender for his orginal draft round (5th) and he may get offers, if someone makes an offer that is quite good do we match, or considering our lack of picks, do we take the 5th round pick? I think it's a possiblilty we could take the pick!

Taylor Jacobs, needs to prove he is over his injuries and back to full speed. Can he live up to the potenial that got him drafted? He will be her next year to find out!

Patrick Johnson, he's an UFA so could move on. Apart from that muffed punt vs Miami I felt he showed some promise last season and he is a decent special teams player, that could be his ticket to a roster spot if he is resigned.

Cliff Russell, old stone hands Still, he is young and was a 3rd round pick plus he has speed, I would like us to at least send him to NFLE and give him a chance to play and find out a little more about him before giving up completely on him. Still, I feel he is a long shot for next years roster, again, ST's may be his best chance.

With Snyder about you never know what surprise move he will pull, maybe Gibbs sees someone like Keyshawn Johnson or Terrall Owens as a guy who can upgrade this team, even if they are a differcult character. I think if we go after one of these guys it will be Snyder/Vinny talking Gibbs into accepting it though.

Whilst that is probably unlikely, I do think we will look to add a veteran who has a good work ethic and can be a "coach on the field" type. We shall see I guess.

As I say, this unit at first, doesn't look a major concern but our FO has overlooked areas every off season, either being happy to go with what we have had or over spending in other areas and having to take a chance on some unprovens. I just hope this isn't the case this year. Of course, this is just me thinking out loud, Gibbs and his staff will look at the tapes and watch the guys in workouts/mini camps and decide for themselves. I just think it's a position that may need more attention than we all think.

Some Fa's that could be considered include:

Marcus Robinson

Tai Streets

Darrell Jackson

Kevin Dyson

Justin McCareins,RFA

Drew Bennett, RFA

I put the two Titan receivers on as with their cap troubles they may have problems even offering these players a tender. McCareins would be nice! Jackson is a frustating player though, I have seen the Seahawks a few times this season and their fans must be having the same disscussions as us about his drops!!

Archived