Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Free Agent Watch: Damien Woody, Center

goldenster95

From PFW's Whispers . . . Damien Woody will come free . . . he's 6'3", 320, just turned 26, and is from Ashland, Virginia . . . bring this guy back home!

Most Patriots observers are of the belief that free-agent-to-be Damien Woody is as good as gone. The center-guard probably will cost the team far too much to re-sign, even if it franchised him and signed him to a one-year deal under those terms. That puts the team in a bind in the middle, where Mike Compton also is a free agent and Joe Andruzzi (though he stayed healthy this season) is injury prone.

http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/The+Way+We+Hear+It/Whispers/2003/whispers1827.htm

Patriots Insider.com also backs PFW up with this:

Last Game As A Patriot?

by Staff of NFLInsider.com, January 9, 2004 at 3:50am ET

G/C Damien Woody could be playing his last game as a Patriot. The fifth-year offensive lineman is scheduled to hit free agency and has been unable to come to terms with the Patriots on a contract extension as he looks to be paid on par with the top centers in the NFL. Woody went to the Pro Bowl as an alternate in 2002 and showed his unselfishness this year by moving to guard without a complaint following Mike Compton's season-ending foot injury.

http://scout.theinsiders.com/a.z?s=121&p=9&c=2&yr=2003&cid=221533&nid=759843&fhn=1

Although I think Damien Woody is a great center I am not sure he would fit our offense. As far as I can tell Joe Gibbs likes to use a power running attack to set up the pass. Woody is a finesse pass blocker. He is used best while countering, trapping, and crack blocking. The Patriots philosiphy is pass first, run second. He is not very powerful off the ball and is not a bruiser. I dont think we should shell out the money for a center like Woody when we can have someone who fits the offense better or keep Lennie Friedman who played admirably.

We don't know what type of offense Gibbs is running yet, but I'm sure he could get Woody to snap the long ball. This would be a great signing. But I don't want to spend to much money on a center right now. I would take a shot to see if Grove would still be available when we're on the board. We can always trade up.

Originally posted by OURYEAR#56

We don't know what type of offense Gibbs is running yet, but I'm sure he could get Woody to snap the long ball. This would be a great signing. But I don't want to spend to much money on a center right now. I would take a shot to see if Grove would still be available when we're on the board. We can always trade up.

One thing about his contract and wanting to be paid like the highest compensated centers -- Olin Kreutz, the league's highest paid center, signed a six year, $23 million deal with a $7 million signing bonus in '02. That's not too bad considering.

Originally posted by OURYEAR#56

I dunno, the Pats couldn't get him to do it. I don't think they would have moved Woody to guard and put Compton in at center if the problem is correctable. I know they tried like crazy to fix it, but he just couldn't do it.

Archived