Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

49ers to tender RB Kevin Barlow $1.9 Mil

I told you guys that I didn't think the Skins were going to be able to sneak up on teams in RFA this year, and steal a player like Chad Morton or Laveraneus Coles again. Why? Because teams are going to tender their RFA a lot more, so that any compensation will be prohibitive. And it seems I was right. :)

49ers to Tender Barlow One-Year Deal -- from FFMastermind.com

AP reports the San Francisco 49ers will make RB Kevan Barlow a one-year, $1.9 million offer to try to keep the three-year pro in the fold for the 2004 season. The Contra Costa Times adds that San Francisco GM Terry Donahue acknowledged that the team will offer Barlow the deal, which would require other teams to give the 49ers a first- and third-round draft pick if they signed the restricted free agent.

It appears that both sides want Barlow back in San Francisco next season, however, the salary cap-strapped 49ers may not be able to match a highly lucrative offer from another team. The official contract offer to Barlow would at least give San Francisco some compensation in the form of draft picks if it cannot afford to match another offer made to Barlow. The 49ers do have the right to match any offer sheet Barlow might sign with another squad.

Archived