Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Spurrier to UNC in 2004: "Done deal"

Atlanta Skins Fan

Originally posted by Equality

UNC has great facilities and will pay more than the vast majority of schools

Spurrier would want to take a program like UNC and make it something it never was before. He would not, in my opinion, even consider another SEC school. If he stays here another year, then Texas becomes a possibility.

I have a hard time believing this is "a done deal." That being said, I'd say there is less than a 50% chance SOS is back next year...and it drops to about 25% if we go 5-11.

Originally posted by jaydean

i'm sorry kids, but if deion would get the nod, that would be a signal to pull the plug on my beloved redskins until daniel s. sells the team. i can't take much more heartbreak anymore.

Why would Sonny grin in pleasure if he knew that Deion was coming here to coach. Let's all get a grip and stop starting rumors.:moon:

I don't doubt the fact that Spurrier may go. UNC? that i am not sure I can comment on because i knwo no one at UNC nor do i like UNC.

However, looking at history since Spurrier has been here, it is not hard to draw a conclusion that all the hugs and kisses from Snyder to Spurrier this past two weeks is showmanship for contract termination negotiations on each part.

This goes back to the Mendes/Caerrato power struggle and the alignments that were made in that front office. Spurrier was clearly aligned with the Mendes camp that has since been expelled. It also was never a state secret that Spurrier and Cerrato are NOT buddies and that Spurrier truly believes Cerrato is an idiot. That I am not guessing at, that I know as fact.

SWo, couple Cerrato's front office coup with Snyder's siding with Cerrato, althoguh not all the time, but on several major personnel matter that have tanked this season (Cutting Watson) has really damaged the relationship and made Spurrrier that much more unhappy.

So, I have never bought the fact that SS will return. There is bad blood here now, he hates DC, he hates the cold, and he hates the NFL. He is in fact, simply put, miserable.

If SOS does leave, I'm really having a hard time figuring out who Snyder will hire. Kirk Ferentz is out, because Snyder has probably never heard of him. And Nick Saban might be out for the same reason...and, he also doesn't seem like the kind of guy that would coach the Skins and deal with Snyder's "eccentricities"--especially when being courted by the Bears and the Giants. Jimmy Johnson will get asked but will say no. Dan Reeves might even get a look, but that seems too bland for Snyder. So then you come to local ties...and with Miami and VTech going to the ACC making that conference an absolute bear...and with Maryland having some of the best success in school history in recent years...might it be an oppotune time for Ralph Freigen to take a shot at the NFL? He has succeeded everywhere he has been--even at Marlyand, where I didn't think success was possible. If he is out there, I'm sure a couple other teams will take a shot at him (Giants), but, that would be my choice. And, if SOS walks, it seems somewhat realisitc.

I think SS will stay as well and although it might not be a great thing in the short term in the long term it will be the best thing for the organization regardless of how we do next year IMO.

If and when we start looking for a new head coach I’d like to see us steer clear of any college head coach. Other than Jimmy Johnson (who I would refuse to support) I can’t think of any college head coach who has successfully made the jump to the pros. There might have been others but I can’t think of them.

I’d rather see us go after the NEXT big thing rather than try to get some re-tread. There are a lot of pro level assistants that deserve a shot. They would not need to adjust to the pro game, they’d understand it. My only other request would be to hire a defensive minded coach who understood the needs of a team that is going to have to play outdoors in the NFC East.

Archived